Training with heart rate

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

pizzayum

by pizzayum

So I've been riding seriously for about a year now and am finishing up my first season of collegiate racing in the states and upgraded to cat 4 and collegiate cat B. My only training has been fast local group rides but I recently got my first garmin with a heart rate monitor and I am curious as to how to properly train with one. I've googled around and haven't found many resources. I'd like to be able to know what 'zones' I should be aiming for during group rides and based off that what types of rides I should do when I am alone.

So, anyone have any resources they can point me towards or any advice for someone trying to be the best cyclist/racer they can be?
I'm 20, 6', 150lbs, and average about 12 hours a week, but I think I could manage more if I knew what I was doing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

There are pages and pages, on multiple threads, in this 'training' forum on training with HR.

Search function is your friend.

Carcinogent

by Carcinogent

Well if you are new to it i VERY HIGHLY recommend Dr. Phil Maffetone or the so called MAF method. I have been thoroughly impressed by all of the stuff he has done. It is not just HR training, but he talks about nutirtion, stress reduction, etc.

I have an article about it and soon will post my 6 month experiences:
http://www.thetallcyclist.com/2015/10/m ... r-cycling/

pizzayum

by pizzayum

Tinea Pedis wrote:There are pages and pages, on multiple threads, in this 'training' forum on training with HR.

Search function is your friend.

I've searched around, but I haven't been able to find a thread, other than the base training one, dedicated to training with heart rate. Maybe I'm lacking search function skills.

pizzayum

by pizzayum

I'll check it out Carcinogent! Thank you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com