Better endurance fuel than Hammer Nutrition's Perpetuem?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

53x12

by 53x12

I have been using Perpetuem for some time and really like it. Flavor is ok but more importantly it seems to be doing the job I need it for.

I guess I am starting this thread to see if I should branch out and try another brand that I might be missing out on?

Other guys I know like Accelerade which I could try out, but I'm not sure how my body will like the soy protein. I prefer whey protein as that seems to be the best for me.

One other brand I have thought about trying is Tailwind Nutrition as I have read good reviews about it online. It doesn't have any protein, which I prefer to have a little bit of for longer rides.

Anyone find something that they like better than Perpetuem?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

How long are your longest events? Is this for cycling only, or multi-sports?

What temperatures? Steady-state, or changing pace? What are the limiters that keep you from using "real" food?

Do you use a drink along with anything solid during events?

Rick

by Rick

I like Perpetuem, but I have to admit that I also love plain old Gatorade Lemon-Lime.
I adjust the concentration based on the hydration/fluid requirements I think I need.

Long or cold: heavy concentration.
Hot and dry: light concentration.

For most training rides, however, I use plain water and eat Powerbars/Cliff bars, just because I hate to have sticky gatorade residue all over my bike and the bottles.

boysa

by boysa

For long endurance events, Perpetuem is in a class by itself. I have used it as my sole source of fuel during long races (Everest Challenge) and sportifs. Never gave me any stomach issues and is simple to carry. I have a soft-flask, and I mix it to a toothpaste consistency. Very easy to pack it with enough fuel for hours. I think this is the best way to go, but I always make a point to only carry water in my bottles. This enables me to: 1. maximize the amount of H2O I can fit in each bottle and; 2. keep to a simple and fixed routine.

For regular racing and training, however, I've switched to bars and gels. I'm always trying new brands and combos for solid food, but for gel I stick with Hammer. Just works for me. My reasoning for the switch is I simply enjoy something solid to chew on during long hours in the saddle. Lately I'm using Rx bars, and they seem to work ok. The gels come out for interval days and races.

I think if you can find something that works, stick with it!
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

glepore

by glepore

I am a giant fan of Perpetuem Caffe Latte. Might have a little too much caffeine, but the flavor is tolerable for me all day. One of the guys I train with swears by Infinit Nutrition's products, even for Ironman length tri's, but I see no reason to mess with something that works.

Even on group rides with bagel stops, I rely solely on Perpetuem, just find that i do better with it.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

Marin

by Marin

Yes, how long are the events?

I usually rely on sucrose solved in water if need to fuel beyond my glycogen/fat reserves, i.e. on fast rides over 2 hours. If it's a "slow" ride or under 2h I don't consume any extra calories.

drchull

by drchull

I have used perpetuem and found that I got fairly bloated. I used Accelerade for a couple year but didn't really work for me on hot days, again bloating and too strong a flavour.

I mostly have switched to solid food. I do still use skratch in the bottles or water or often one of each. Skratch I use because of the salt and because it is lower in sugars and less strong in flavour. Most of my calories and protein come from solid food. I only use gels or gummies on harder days and races and really only because I can get them in quicker. Rice cakes, waffles, cookies, nut bars and good old bananas I really think are a better way to get most of your calories especially on long days.

You asked whether you should try Accelerade, yes absolutely, try many different things and see what works best for you. As long as you are not leading into a major event in short order. To many people tell you their formula for success and these are useful guidelines but you need to figure what works for you.

53x12

by 53x12

BikeAnon wrote:How long are your longest events? Is this for cycling only, or multi-sports?

7-8 hours.
Cycling only.

BikeAnon wrote:What temperatures? Steady-state, or changing pace? What are the limiters that keep you from using "real" food?

Various temperatures, depending on time of year.

Steady state + changing pace.

Don't like chewing solid food and much less swallowing solid food when exercising. Rather have my fuel be liquid based. Sometimes gel based.

BikeAnon wrote:Do you use a drink along with anything solid during events?

Drink alone at this point (Hammer). Use to use solid food, no longer do.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

53x12

by 53x12

glepore wrote:I am a giant fan of Perpetuem Caffe Latte. Might have a little too much caffeine, but the flavor is tolerable for me all day. One of the guys I train with swears by Infinit Nutrition's products, even for Ironman length tri's, but I see no reason to mess with something that works.

Even on group rides with bagel stops, I rely solely on Perpetuem, just find that i do better with it.

I had a local guy recommend Infinit to me as well. I like that you can completely customize it to suit your needs and preference. I might give that a shot and see how I like it compared to HN Perpetuem.