Best post ride recovery drink?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

rma

by rma

Milk, natural and raw milk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

Non fat organic milk and grass fed whey protein powder. I really look forward to this meal as it's so damn good and definitely helps with recovery.

Huru

by Huru

I usually drink chocolate milk.

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

Chocolate milk. Or add some choclate to your post-ride muesli with milk ;)

Generally, if you know how to cook and what and where to buy, you do not need anything labeled "sports nutrition". Maybe except for overpriced gels during racing because I cannot think of a way to pack and store the home-made stuff. Powergels are so convenient.

chanthony91

by chanthony91

moonoi wrote:Yep chocolate milk, as good as any "recovery" drink.

chocolate milk (low fat is my preference)

powerbar protein (the organge flavored one)
and optimum nutrition chocolate flavored protein gold standard

RickyKong

by RickyKong

I reccomand you Hershey chocolate milk.

I think it has the best balance between nutrition and price.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Tinea Pedis wrote:Unless you're set on it being a drink...

http://www.sciencealert.com/burgers-and ... upplements

worth a read

My hero haha
Using Tapatalk

jpanspac

by jpanspac

Tinea Pedis wrote:Unless you're set on it being a drink...

http://www.sciencealert.com/burgers-and ... upplements

worth a read

I don't see how a burger and fries snack could be 70% carbs, 10% protein and 10% fat.
My favorite components are the ones I never have to think about.

drchull

by drchull

The key to that was the quantities. They used soft drinks to up the carbs to appropriate levels. What I question is the other arm of the study, gatorade and energy bars. Also only an 1.5 hour ride, I would like to see the study done after a lot longer ride as an hour and a half to fit cyclists is about when the warm up is done.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Whilst I would have been amazed if someone didn't pick the eyes out of the study - nor am I claiming it to be gospel - it was an hour and a half at a 'challenging' pace. Which would certainly be enough to zap CHO stores. If they go for longer you drop intensity and risking then burning less CHO and more fat.

It's not perfect, no study is. But makes for an interesting counter point to the massive push we still have in relation to what you 'must' eat in order to recover.

drchull

by drchull

Yeah always going to happen here, and it is good discourse usually. Didn't really seem to vary the convo that much is they essentially kept the balance of the macronutrients the same. It is just the source that varied. In fact I would argue that the fast food if anything is less processed than the recovery drinks, or energy bars and gatorade is no better than coke here.

Does back up what a lot of people (including myself) have said here is that you don't need a specific recovery product, just need food with an appropriate mix of macronutrients within a potential window of time. Would hope that most people make a better choice than fast food though from an overall health perspective. I also refuse to give my money to those pedlars of death and suffering, but that is just me, I don't put that on anyone else.

KWalker

by KWalker

You don't technically 'need' anything as long as daily intake is adequate. Especially rec/amateur racers. Zee broscience around the 'magic window' has been debunked a number of times.

However,

With the whole low carb trend I'd advocate it just so people don't dip too low and let their carb fear completely zap them. For me personally I can get pretty pukey feeling if I eat during a short interval workout so I tend to eat something around 500-650cal right after because that's when I'm hungry. Then usually a meal 2ish hrs after. And nothing really till dinner. Total intake is fine and that's when I naturally want to eat. And at that there is no advantage towards an expensive highly refined shake and eating something that is more satiating and nutrient dense. I'd rather have 300-400g of sweet potato and some eggs than a shitty tasting shake. Or oats and greek yogurt. Or really anything that is moderately filling and isn't insanely low quality. But sometimes you gotta go insanely low quality....
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

drchull wrote:Yeah always going to happen here, and it is good discourse usually. Didn't really seem to vary the convo that much is they essentially kept the balance of the macronutrients the same. It is just the source that varied. In fact I would argue that the fast food if anything is less processed than the recovery drinks, or energy bars and gatorade is no better than coke here.

Does back up what a lot of people (including myself) have said here is that you don't need a specific recovery product, just need food with an appropriate mix of macronutrients within a potential window of time. Would hope that most people make a better choice than fast food though from an overall health perspective. I also refuse to give my money to those pedlars of death and suffering, but that is just me, I don't put that on anyone else.

That's really the take home message, without doubt. Only if the rider is inclined to enjoy some fast food, there is a way to have your cake and eat it too.

I also recall that the Uni has copped some blowback from the study, a lot of which being moral objections (like yours, which are fine to have I might add) but missing the point. Like KWalker said, the broscience - when it comes to regular riders like us - is being debunked in a lot of aspects.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jpanspac

by jpanspac

KWalker, do you have any links to the studies that debunk the refueling window?
My favorite components are the ones I never have to think about.