Best post ride recovery drink?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

kingkongsfinger

by kingkongsfinger

CNP or Rego?

Or home made potions?

I am interested in anyone's proven drinks that aid recover and help you feel better for another ride the day after.

Cheers
"I could have done this job myself in five minutes, but as things turned out I had to spend two days trying to find out why it had taken someone else three weeks to do it wrong."

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

kingkongsfinger wrote:CNP or Rego?

Or home made potions?

I am interested in anyone's proven drinks that aid recover and help you feel better for another ride the day after.

Cheers

It depends. What kind of ride did you do? What did you do in the days proceeding? What were your macro's like beforehand and during the ride (if any)? Lots of factors go into what would be "optimal" for you in the given circumstances.

But generally milk is pretty good. Choc milk if its been a long/hard session.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

moonoi

by moonoi

Yep chocolate milk, as good as any "recovery" drink.

kingkongsfinger

by kingkongsfinger

At the moment doing 1.5 hrs and 3-4 hr road rides, around 12 hrs a week in total.

moonoi wrote:Yep chocolate milk, as good as any "recovery" drink.

Is this not full of sugar?
"I could have done this job myself in five minutes, but as things turned out I had to spend two days trying to find out why it had taken someone else three weeks to do it wrong."

toastie

by toastie

i always thought milk was harder for the body to process? most of the recovery drinks I've ever seen ( not that i use any ) advise specifically to mix with water and not milk

junchen

by junchen

Milk has a nice ratio of protein and carbs and it's easily available.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

moonoi

by moonoi

kingkongsfinger wrote:At the moment doing 1.5 hrs and 3-4 hr road rides, around 12 hrs a week in total.

There is plenty of research to show that it is as affective as any "proper" recovery drink, it contains pretty much the same stuff and if you mix it yourself it can have as much or as little sugar as you want in it to taste. I normally pick it up from the local store, with a 5% sugar content, although some brands can be as much as 10%, so check the bottle if you are concerned about the sugar content.

Prior to switching to chocolate milk, I used to use Science in Sport Rego Rapid Recovery and Torq recovery, both of which I found to be pretty good with a nice taste too.

drchull

by drchull

Lots of expensive supplements sold to athletes can be substituted with simple foods. There for the most part is little difference between an energy bas and a cookie nutritionally.

Post workout nutrition is important and as tapeworm pointed out also somewhat dependent on what you have done. The reason that chocolate milk is so recommended is that they funded a study, that is it. Doesn't need to be chocolate milk and doesn't need to be a drink. Generally as everyone knows there is a window post workout that enhances protein and carb absorption. Unless body building the protein requirements aren't that huge and in general animal source proteins absorb better in this case. The amount of carbs depends on a lot of factors. I generally just have something like a banana based protein smoothy with half the recommended dose of protein as typically protein powders give body builder amounts of protein. Will usually add some greens and other veg/fruit.

A lot of the commercial recovery drinks have absolutely huge amounts of carbs and are frankly fairly gross to drink. I generally try to move away from more and more processed foods and so am avoiding a lot of the pre-made supplements other than skratch as energy drinks are a PIA to make.

zirxo

by zirxo

kingkongsfinger wrote:At the moment doing 1.5 hrs and 3-4 hr road rides, around 12 hrs a week in total.

That's kinda the point of a recovery drink.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Duvel.

(i'll get me coat) :-D
Official cafe stop tester

kingkongsfinger

by kingkongsfinger

Thanks for the information, I have used CNP Pro Recover and Rego in the past and both seem to help.

From what you say I might as well use a pint of semi skimmed milk and two bananas in a blender straight after my ride?

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

As pointed out, the sugar in the drink is kinda the point. For endurance based exercise the muscle "repair" is far less than say power lifting, and hence the requirement for protein is less (but still important), and carbs are key to being able to recover.

Choc milk is not a special thing at all, but is just convenient (servos usually have them) and does the job. But as above, lots of good options can be used, and they don't have to be liquid form. In fact if you're trying to lose weight then real food is preferable. It is *very* easy to down a lot of calories in liquid form (which can be both a plus and a minus).

In Australia we have a drink additive called Milo (malted barely and sugar). Has a bit of protein, lots of carbs and generally tastes awesome. Mixed with soy milk and a bit of Udo's Oil and a bit of a "meal replacement powder" (mix of flaxseed meal, chia seeds, cacao powder etc, and a bit pea protein in it) is what I use if in a hurry. Otherwise I just eat a meal in an hour or two.

Or you know, eat some fruit or something.

Unless you're at the very pointy end of the fitness spectrum then the notion that a special powder is the optimal way to recover is an excellent bit of marketing.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

andrewfelix

by andrewfelix

Choc milk FTW. Lots of new research showing its effectiveness. Mix your own if you want less sugar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donic

by Donic

drchull wrote:Generally as everyone knows there is a window post workout that enhances protein and carb absorption.

That is a myth. It is the overall protein intake during the day that is important.

jamesbass

by jamesbass

Fruit smoothies.

You asked for the best. Here we go:

Specifically berries, green leafy vegetables and as many high-antioxidant spices as you can handle, such as cinnamon, turmeric, etc. To thicken and/or add protein use flax, sunflower & pumpkin seeds. Sweeten with bananas. NO ANTIOXIDANT SUPPLIMENTS.

Why antioxidants via foods & not tablets? See here:
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/enhance ... daptation/
Lots of research to show that vitamin pills and such can REVERSE adaptations to exercise. Insane.

Reduce muscle soreness with berries:
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/reducin ... h-berries/

Milk blocks all antioxidants (sucking them up like a sponge) so don't add it:
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/nutrien ... -of-dairy/

Watercress is awesome:
http://nutritionfacts.org/2014/05/13/pr ... -exercise/
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/prevent ... atercress/

Turmeric & heart/blood health (Cycling study included):
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/heart-o ... -exercise/

Watermelon:
http://nutritionfacts.org/2015/10/13/re ... atermelon/

Citrus lowers blood lactate
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/reducin ... th-citrus/

You may have heard about high-nitrate beetroot smoothies but unfortunately it tastes AWFUL in my opinion. There are way better alternatives to get your nitrates.
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/vegetab ... y-nitrate/

Tons more science out there but the trend seems to be high-carb, high-antioxidant and high-digestibility.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com