Best post ride recovery drink?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

drchull

by drchull

Donic wrote:
drchull wrote:Generally as everyone knows there is a window post workout that enhances protein and carb absorption.

That is a myth. It is the overall protein intake during the day that is important.

Would love to see what disproved the original research. Not aware of that research. Pls provide reference if possible. Not trying to be internet bully, actually hoping to see the research.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Image + two large/jumbo eggs cooked to your preference/method, a small slice of toast & jam
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Donic

by Donic

drchull wrote:
Donic wrote:
drchull wrote:Generally as everyone knows there is a window post workout that enhances protein and carb absorption.

That is a myth. It is the overall protein intake during the day that is important.

Would love to see what disproved the original research. Not aware of that research. Pls provide reference if possible. Not trying to be internet bully, actually hoping to see the research.

http://dareandconquer.com/anabolic-window-myth/

RDJEHV

by RDJEHV

Donic wrote:
drchull wrote:
Donic wrote:

http://dareandconquer.com/anabolic-window-myth/

Interesting, I would still start consuming protein as early as possible to get the longest period of absorption. (also to give the body time to transport protein from stomach to muscle). But it seems if you wait one or 2 hours that's not that critical.

xena
Banned

by xena

I used to have a chocolate protein shake after my ride and that worked ok but now I have Pasta straight away with some chicken or tuna and a bit of sauce. comes to about 350 calories " if your counting" I found this much more beneficial. I have my protein drink in the evening .
On my days off from riding I hit the weights and do the exact same thing Pasta straight after. Im going to try and bulk up a bit this year .
Ride 3 times a week keeping a eye on my level and really hit the weights hard on the off days.
I'm not a easy gainer but I got the Body building bug back again so going to try and get a balance between the two. There is no way I can stop riding bike and I have been climbing better than I ever have been and its consistent so I know its going to be hard to make real size gains and stay frosty on the bike but I am going to try anyway.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

drchull

by drchull

Thanks for the link. Interesting though it really seems more that they are saying that the window is there just longer. This article though was strictly written for weight lifting with a goal of adding bulk, cycling recovery has very different goals, primarily glycogen store recovery with muscle building secondary.

The carbohydrate part of the discussion was likely way of when it pertains to cycling as it was more concerned with effects of congestion of carbs on protein absorption and building muscle bulk.

Interesting, thanks again for the link.

LionelB

by LionelB

Beer. Preferably cold.

toastie

by toastie

LionelB wrote:Beer. Preferably cold.

best idea I've seen all thread :D

efeballi

by efeballi

LionelB wrote:Beer. Preferably cold.

/thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SHUT UP LEGS
2015 Giant Propel Advanced
2015 Cannondale Supersix Evo
2013 KTM Strada mod. (totaled)
2011 Pinarello Dogma 60.1(loaner)
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

Politecnico di Milano Ingegneria Meccanica

caddis

by caddis

http://www.panimoliitto.fi/en/micronutr ... ry-drinks/

^ this is not a joke...:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Yeah, that's right up there with the "Glass of Wine as good for you as an hour at the gym" BS.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

kingkongsfinger

by kingkongsfinger

This is my recover drink of choice after all the great comments, it also lists the ingredients and nutritional values.
http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/ ... =275290349
"I could have done this job myself in five minutes, but as things turned out I had to spend two days trying to find out why it had taken someone else three weeks to do it wrong."

drchull

by drchull

Beer used to be used quite frequently as a recovery drink. Not multiple beers but not uncommon to see European pros drinking a beer after a ride to recover carbs.
Obviously thinking has changed for the pros.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Am I the only person who actually prefers not to have a beer (or any alcohol) after an effective ride (race or training) ?

When I did have a 'beer' or whatever after a ride with friends my legs felt like sh*t afterwards, and the next day I felt totally lethargic.
But if I did a tough race, or ride (often harder than when I ride with those 'let's go get a beer!' guys), and I eat/drink what I want afterwards, I feel totally fresh and fine.

:noidea:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I love riding with the "lets go get a beer" guys. Preferably they like to stop at one of the wineries enroute as well. But if I actually do a really hard ride I'm kinda with the chocolate milk crowd. THEN, Meet for a beer.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ