Best post ride recovery drink?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

calumfindlay

by calumfindlay

Any experience / reviews with the plant based protein recovery drinks such as Vega?

I know that you can make them yourself but for convenience I am looking for a just add water kinda mix.

petereps

by petereps

When I get back from my rides I have about 45 mins to shower, stretch, prepare dinner to take to work, etc. So I'm wondering if it is detrimental to have a sort of "meal" shake after my ride. I've heard that fat slows absorption of carbs, so would a ~600 calorie shake with OJ, banana, dates, greens, vegan protein/yogurt be my best bet? Or should I add some fats since this is my lunch as well. Would like to hear some recipe ideas for big recovery shakes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bogus

by bogus

I usually drink chocolate milk and soy milk.

djbowen99

by djbowen99

another one for chocolate milk, go tired of buying assorted products that did the same and cost more.

NealH

by NealH

Beer is probably the best overall. The water is either distilled or reverse osmosis filtered, and the hops provides minerals, the alcohol provides glycogen. Get your protein from a meal. But other drinks, mixes or what-have-you are fine too. Its all about preference.

thePrince

by thePrince

A great read on liquid dairy:

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2015/10/dairy-industry-milk-federal-dietary-guidelines

Always interesting when an independent news organization sifts through decades of history, follows the money, interviews the relevant players, and presents the unbiased story.

Not surprising, they come to a much different conclusion than some of the posters in this thread preaching daily milk consumption.

Almost didn't post this because I'm just poking the bear and will be lambasted for taking an anti-milk position. But it's such a thorough article on the topic. Hope a few people will read it.

boysa

by boysa

Wait... Mother Jones is an independent news organization? Sure. And I'm a former Tour winner.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

saeie1

by saeie1

The Rego Rapid REcovery is packed one by one, so it's easy to eat and taste.(especially strawberry flavor!)
After exercising, the momentum is good.

KWalker

by KWalker

calumfindlay wrote:Any experience / reviews with the plant based protein recovery drinks such as Vega?

I know that you can make them yourself but for convenience I am looking for a just add water kinda mix.

Vega isn't something one can make. I use their chocolate mocha protein powder. 1/3 of a scoop in my oatmeal for the aminos and a tiny bit of protein plus the flavor. None of their products are a true recovery drink as you will need to add some extra CHO.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

gtinut

by gtinut

Garden of Life

mhoffman

by mhoffman

Another vote for chocolate milk

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

why would anyone drink milk? are you a baby cow? you are pounding estrogen into your body, among a million other awful things.

Pajjy

by Pajjy

waltthizzney wrote:why would anyone drink milk? are you a baby cow? you are pounding estrogen into your body, among a million other awful things.

Spotted the Vegan.

track01

by track01

Coconut water (not only for veggies)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Sam Adams. and I'm only half joking
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)