Best post ride recovery drink?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

thePrince

by thePrince

Nefarious86 wrote:Is thePrince a vegan [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

No, not vegan. Or Paleo, or anything like that. Just a person who is willing to question the norm.

prendrefeu wrote: you may want to spend some substantial time learning about research and science as a field

Coming from the person says this:
prendrefeu wrote:The odd thing is though in science you can't quite replicate studies on long term usage like, oh, actual human results over the course of centuries...and NO firm conclusion can be made from your study.

And then this:
prendrefeu wrote:Now, are there studies in health which have drawn conclusions that are fairly comprehensive? Absolutely. Smoking, nicotine addictions, cancer... those are pretty darn conclusive after so many studies have been done across very thorough cohorts, testing on various mammals, and so on.

So you think there is no way possible you could have a sample size big enough, unless it's smoking, nicotine, cancer? Your statements are contradictory.
prendrefeu wrote:Your metaphor of construction methods and production to nutrition of dairy products is... well... not only weird, it's without any merit.

It's not weird, and it's not without merit. If you are trying to build/maintain a strong foundation for yourself, milk might have a few nutrients that could be useful. And it also has nutrients, like calcium, that we are told we need large amounts of. Reality is looking like a different story. The point is you could consider other foods that have those helpful nutrients, and skip the milk if you want a stronger foundation. Or at least practice some moderation while the subject is being studied.

Drinking 2 gallons of milk per week (not moderation)...well it's your body. If it makes you happy, it's no sweat off my back. Completely discounting and disregarding scientific research because it isn't 100% conclusive...it's your body, again no sweat off my back. I don't take it personally if you drink milk. Just thought a healthy discussion on the matter might be enlightening for those who are unaware there are actually two sides to the milk story.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

You must be quite daft.

I did not completely discount research. Go back and read the damn thread clearly, word for word since you're trying so hard to split quotes up.
Start here and tell me where research was completely discounted: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=136894&start=75#p1247839

As for the sample size in the specific study in question, one more time: GO READ THE ACTUAL ARTICLE AND ITS COMMENTS.
Yes, the sample size is "large" - it's also questionable. Like anything else. But I guess you missed that part?

Arguing with you is like hearing a drunkard at a bar try to enter a conversation between two people who've been drinking water.

You clearly don't know how science and research studies work yet continue to argue as if you do. The entire post of yours demonstrates a thinly structured attempt at forming an argument when you have no knowledge of what is actually being discussed.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

latsride

by latsride

I like to keep it simple. Watermelon is a favorite, as is a frozen banana blended with raw cacao powder!

Definitely no dairy.

thePrince

by thePrince

prendrefeu wrote:You clearly don't know how science and research studies work yet continue to argue as if you do. The entire post of yours demonstrates a thinly structured attempt at forming an argument when you have no knowledge of what is actually being discussed.

If you want to hold me and others who disagree with you to the highest of scientific standards, then you should take a quick peek in the mirror. I highly doubt that name calling, typing in all caps, and emoticons would be taken seriously in any published work, let alone published at all.

Furthermore, I've been following studies related to dairy for more than 10 years. You don't know me, my background. I don't proclaim to know what you know, or what you don't. I'm not making this personal, and clearly you are because you drink 2 gallons of milk a week and it's human to have a bias...I do, we all do.

There are so many studies out there regarding milk (and dairy in general). I urge you to do your own research, and come back with new/different information that will move the discussion forward. If your findings are pro-milk, I would look forward to discussing those because being challenged is what moves the human race forward. :beerchug:

bar23243

by bar23243

I like almost all fruit but banana is my favorite! :)
You can find any sports nutrition on https://www.biceps-shop.com/ . It helps you to make your body beautiful.

Tabe

by Tabe

I like chocolate milk for a recovery. Non alcohol beer..Krombacher weizen icecold on a hot day or tad under room temp on a chilly day. :beerchug:

Did anybody say how much muscles need calcium to function..neuromuscular junction, anyone? Muscle contraction, nope? :mrgreen:

fabriciom

by fabriciom

I'm getting good results from myrpotein ISO Pro a 25g serving has 24,18g of proteins. Mind you this is the version with no flavour.
Keeps me doing about 100km 5 days a week with about 900 meter elevation with no problems.

KWalker

by KWalker

Just eat food. Honestly. Read studies on post-exercise glycogen replenishment and protein metabolism in normal situations. The Ivy studies and many studies were done with athletes who had fasted AND purposefully been put through depletion protocols. This isn't how normal people tend to train. If you eat during a ride, unless the ride is fairly long you won't fully deplete. The kinetics of glycogen usage are fairly complex, but it's not as if a 1.5-2hr 'training ride' is going to drain you. Studies in which depletion was the aim show that 30s maximal as in you want to puke sprints show large amounts of usage, but at a point usage is then curbed as the body tries to preserve stores and maintain blood sugar balance.

If the diet has adequate CHO for the overall weekly volume, then most people replenish within 24hrs. Even in 12hrs you can get fairly close, so unless you are doing multiple depleting workouts in a day, just eat. The rest is bullshit that has been marketed towards us by those who seem to think a complex strategy or set of products is needed in place of real food. Keep fiber lower, fat low-ish to moderate (it hasn't been shown to increase fat storage or decrease resynthesis rates in normal amounts) and you will be fine. And satiated. I'd wager those that slam down 400-600cal shakes end up eating more during the day.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

KJ4JPQ

by KJ4JPQ

I've had good results with the EFS Ultragen. I started using it at the suggestion of my coach, and there's a slight but noticeable difference in recovery between drinking that and eating yogurt+granola like I was previously.

ScapinBoy

by ScapinBoy

Tapeworm wrote:As pointed out, the sugar in the drink is kinda the point. For endurance based exercise the muscle "repair" is far less than say power lifting, and hence the requirement for protein is less (but still important), and carbs are key to being able to recover.

Choc milk is not a special thing at all, but is just convenient (servos usually have them) and does the job. But as above, lots of good options can be used, and they don't have to be liquid form. In fact if you're trying to lose weight then real food is preferable. It is *very* easy to down a lot of calories in liquid form (which can be both a plus and a minus).

In Australia we have a drink additive called Milo (malted barely and sugar). Has a bit of protein, lots of carbs and generally tastes awesome. Mixed with soy milk and a bit of Udo's Oil and a bit of a "meal replacement powder" (mix of flaxseed meal, chia seeds, cacao powder etc, and a bit pea protein in it) is what I use if in a hurry. Otherwise I just eat a meal in an hour or two.

Or you know, eat some fruit or something.

Unless you're at the very pointy end of the fitness spectrum then the notion that a special powder is the optimal way to recover is an excellent bit of marketing.

Go the Akta Vite bro.

xena
Banned

by xena

Sometimes I now hit the café in the park for a coffee and find I still recover just as well. I used to be really strict but seems OK to miss out on the after ride ritual for the odd ride.
It must be the EPO :D
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

kingkongsfinger

by kingkongsfinger

xena wrote:Sometimes I now hit the café in the park for a coffee and find I still recover just as well. I used to be really strict but seems OK to miss out on the after ride ritual for the odd ride.
It must be the EPO :D

Evening Primrose Oil?
"I could have done this job myself in five minutes, but as things turned out I had to spend two days trying to find out why it had taken someone else three weeks to do it wrong."

McNamara

by McNamara

:beerchug:

I'm with the beer fans in this thread. Unless I'm short on time I always try to have a beer or three right after a long ride. I couldn't give a damn whether it's good for me or not. I always feel better after the beer; must be a combination of rehydration and some painkiller effect from the alcohol. Later I'll eat a meal.

If not beer, then I like recovery drinks with a mix of protein and carbs plus a good flavor. Sometimes I'll get a protein smoothie, but generally I only have those after gym sessions. Oh yeah, I love dairy too. Don't care if that's bad for me either.

You health nuts may have "the last laugh" and outlive me by ten years, but remember, those extra ten years you get are going to be the worst of your life! Ha ha ha...

Wingnut

by Wingnut

A nice pear cider goes down well too... [emoji6]

jonesalice

by jonesalice

Huru wrote:I usually drink chocolate milk.

that is an attitude!:)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com