Night training and being seen

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Devon

by Devon

Any tips/recommendations that don't involve fluro? Obviously good lights is a requirement.

I do 90% of my riding in the pitch black, and currently am making do with a white throw-on rain cape (sportful). I'm looking for a proper rain jacket (or maybe something like a gabba), but don't want to go full commuter mode with a yellow fluro one.

What do you do to stay visible at night, while still wearing race-cut kit?

EDIT: The POC AVIP stuff is amazing, but a bit on the expensive side. I'm considering maybe fluro socks/overshoes and maybe knee warmers, but I must admit I'm not a believer in 'commuter yellow'.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Wiggle do some bibtights with scotchlite patches on in their dhb range.
They're very visible.

You could put some tape on your mudguards or frame.

Testing seems to show drivers pick up on contrasts rather than it being hi viz per se (and there's that much flouro yellow that people dont pick up on it anymore)
Official cafe stop tester

Devon

by Devon

That my issue - commuter yellow is mostly invisible.

It's far too warm for bibtights! My partner had a pair of the unpadded ones actually and they ripped at the seams on the second use.

But something along those lines would be good - ideally fitting around keeping my existing shorts - so maybe knee warmers.

I don't run mudguards but some tape on the stays could work - as long as I can remove it in spring 8)

mattr

by mattr

I tape moving parts, 20mm wide 3m silver reflective tape. Oddly spaced patches on the rims, cranks, hubs.
Then some on the mudguards and so on.

Bike looks like something out of Tron when a car headlight (or road light) hits it.

Also have 5 lights (2 front, 3 rear)

Haydn

by Haydn

LED valve caps

Devon

by Devon

Valve what? How dare you! :twisted:

Devon

by Devon

-

Marin

by Marin

Cygolite Hotshot Mini
Cygolite Dash 320

3M black reflective foil on seat stays and cranks

I've got the feeling that I'm less visible during daytime. I do get rear fog lights switched on after cars pass me with the Hotshot on though :D

Thinking about getting this: http://www.provizsports.com/en_gb/catal ... tegory/67/

Devon

by Devon

As for lights, I'm sorted. I run an Exposure TraceR (75 lumen) mounted to the saddle rails, and also have a Bontrager Flare which can be attached to clothing or the seat post. The Flare is the new daylight-visible rear light and it's simply fantastic. They claim up to 2km visibility during the day.

Up front I run an Exposure Joystick (800 lumen) and can add my Trace (110 lumen) if I need more side visibility. I have the same effect on cars passing (and coming the other way) although I do tend to dip it where possible.

The new Provis stuff looks great. I was aware of the jacket which is a bit clumpy but hadn't seen the REFLECT360+ Gilet , so that's an option - although the fit doesn't look great.

CulBaire

by CulBaire

The Sugoi Zap jackets look pretty sweet. Have not seen one in person though

Sent from my C2105 using Tapatalk

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have a Cateye Volt 300 front light and Leyzene micro drive rear light and no other high vis kit. I ride alot at night everyone see me in good time you can tell that by they way cars overtake.

Good lights are all that is needed.

Devon

by Devon

CulBaire wrote:The Sugoi Zap jackets look pretty sweet. Have not seen one in person though

Similar to the Provis one, I remember seeing this a while back actually but forgot about it! :beerchug:

by 11.4

As others have said, there's nothing in clothing that compares to strong LED lights. That doesn't mean a Blinky on the rear. I'm talking about the Dinette Quad tail light or a couple others that have recently come to market, with great side visibility and a flash that is strong enough to wake the dead a quarter mile behind you. And on the front I use an Exposure light, the MaxX D Mark 8 (I have the Mark 7 but it's just a slight difference in features and output). The front light is rated at something like 2600 lumens, which even after you discount for all the ambiguity in ratings, is still enough so everybody sees you a long ways off.

People with lights forget that a car driver is surrounded by colored and blinking lights at night and a cyclist has to be more attention-getting than that Prius making a left turn ahead. I used to think that a thousand lumens or so was the max to use, on the grounds that more than that became pretty blinding to anyone coming at you, and on the rear, same for more than a hundred or so. Well, let them blink. If you watch enough drivers who tune out lights or are simply distracted, one really needs to remind them that you're there. That's why clothing doesn't help. By the time you're close enough in their headlights that the color shows up or reflective elements start to work, it may be too late.

It's worth it for one's own safety to get a couple good lights. At least, at a minimum, go for a really powerful red tail light like the Dinotte. Your front light plays two roles -- to alert drivers and also so you can see what's ahead. Police officers have pointed out to me how many cycling accidents occur when a rider gets hit not from behind but from the side while crossing an intersection, and a tail light isn't necessary that successful in that situation.

If you don't get a driver's attention, you haven't reduced the risk. Most accidents aren't because you are completely invisible and the driver was attentive and had no chance to see you. If that does happen, then shame on you. Most occur because they aren't as attentive as they should be and cycling clothing simply doesn't give enough reaction time. Period. The only way to reach out five hundred or a thousand feet and tap them is with strong lights.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

300 lumens blinds drivers which is why they always pull over on single track or narrow roads for me. Well nearly always there are always a few brave souls.

Reflective clothing is a sop to the be seen brigade. As above if the driver is not paying attention then no amount of reflective clothing is going to help you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

velomane

by velomane

11.4 wrote:As others have said, there's nothing in clothing that compares to strong LED lights. That doesn't mean a Blinky on the rear. I'm talking about the Dinette Quad tail light or a couple others that have recently come to market, with great side visibility and a flash that is strong enough to wake the dead a quarter mile behind you. And on the front I use an Exposure light, the MaxX D Mark 8 (I have the Mark 7 but it's just a slight difference in features and output). The front light is rated at something like 2600 lumens, which even after you discount for all the ambiguity in ratings, is still enough so everybody sees you a long ways off.

People with lights forget that a car driver is surrounded by colored and blinking lights at night and a cyclist has to be more attention-getting than that Prius making a left turn ahead. I used to think that a thousand lumens or so was the max to use, on the grounds that more than that became pretty blinding to anyone coming at you, and on the rear, same for more than a hundred or so. Well, let them blink. If you watch enough drivers who tune out lights or are simply distracted, one really needs to remind them that you're there. That's why clothing doesn't help. By the time you're close enough in their headlights that the color shows up or reflective elements start to work, it may be too late.

It's worth it for one's own safety to get a couple good lights. At least, at a minimum, go for a really powerful red tail light like the Dinotte. Your front light plays two roles -- to alert drivers and also so you can see what's ahead. Police officers have pointed out to me how many cycling accidents occur when a rider gets hit not from behind but from the side while crossing an intersection, and a tail light isn't necessary that successful in that situation.

If you don't get a driver's attention, you haven't reduced the risk. Most accidents aren't because you are completely invisible and the driver was attentive and had no chance to see you. If that does happen, then shame on you. Most occur because they aren't as attentive as they should be and cycling clothing simply doesn't give enough reaction time. Period. The only way to reach out five hundred or a thousand feet and tap them is with strong lights.

Quoted because everyone who rides in the dark needs to read this twice. Take responsibility for being seen! Force the motorists to realize you are there, and remember, just because they've seen you, it still doesn't mean they will do the safe and proper thing regarding your presence, so your vigilance is of utmost importance. Finally, my goal isn't to blind the oncoming traffic, but when they occasionally flash their high-beams at me, then I know they've seen me.