Cyclocross and Road season

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

RazorL

by RazorL

This year i wasn't racing on the road because my girlfriend and i moved out together and we renovated our new home so i went a hole season without my bike (occasionally i could ride buth their was no structure what so ever).
I then got into cyclocross (started in october) and enjoying it very much. I can finish the races in 20-30 place of about 70 competitors without training to much for it.
Now i wanna race again on the road (the coming season) buth don't wanna give up on my cyclocross. The cyclocross season lasts until february.
Does i matter much that in my "base" period i do 1 cyclocross race (1 hour high intensity) ?

Should i move back the start off my road season?

bikerector

by bikerector

What I've found for me is that one or the other will have to take a hit for being competitive. It's really hard to try and do both and be on form for both but racing CX for fun should be fine. Seems like it hurts a lot more if you race CX without much interval training outside of races. The last 2 years I decided to start focusing more on road and I found my CX performances were all over the place as my constancy for pushing hard was quite lacking.

CX is so fun though, it's hard to pass up a bunch of races to try and focus on just one discipline.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RazorL

by RazorL

May i note that i am not training for cyclocross, when i do my recovery/ race prep ride i do this with my cyclocross bike and practice some technical drills (run ups, bunnyhopping,...)
All the rest off my training is "Base prep".

davidalone

by davidalone

you can certainly be competitive at both provided you understand the demands of each.

Road races are much 'longer' (unless you only do crit events) so to be competitive the base fitness and miles must be there, no getting around the 100km rides if you want to be there at the end.

CX is much shorter, 45 minute - 1 hour events so it is pretty much anaerobic all the way and yes you definitely need to work on the skills aspect. Racing CX definitely won't ruin your road season, unless you are ONLY doing anaerobic efforts. lots of european

RazorL

by RazorL

My Road races events are about 80km long so definitely must getting some base miles under my belt.
Here in belgium those are the "Kermesse" events :D

istigatrice

by istigatrice

You should be fine, there's nothing wrong with doing intensity before your base miles, just make sure you do some. When cyclocross season is over start doing some longer rides, but still do a few intense sessions to keep the intensity up.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com