Just got tested for VO2max/power- what do they mean?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

davidalone

by davidalone

I got tested in a lab at the university the other day. The researchers had their own agenda ( They wanted to find out the effect of different sports drinks on performance) but they did test me for peak power and VO2max and let me have the numbers:

Height (cm) 179.7
Weight (kg) 65.98
BMI 20.4
Body Fat (%) 12.37
Peak oxygen uptake - VO2 max (mL/kg/min) 59.2
Peak oxygen uptake - VO2 max/kg(L/min) 3.95
Peak power output at VO2 max (W) 318

I'm no sports scientist, but apparently their comments were that my power was low for my VO2max, which indicated that there was some ineffeciency somewhere. Can someone help explain the data and see how I can improve my training?

whydobearsxplod

by whydobearsxplod

I see you have many posts, so I apologize if this is well-known to others, but can you tell us a little more about your background. How long have you been cycling? What is your training like?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

davidalone

by davidalone

Started off as an XC runner, moved into Triathlon, but only just started doing pure road racing over the past 2 years. All in been cycling since 2010, but that includes the Triathlon days.

training is one session of long run a week ( I find it's more time effecient for building cardio fitness) with 2-3 rides. one Long ride on the weekend and 1-2 other fast efforts on the weekdays with the local hammer group. Depending on when in the season I can do my own interval efforts but I live in the city so it's rare that I can find the space to do interval efforts on the road.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

I'm 1.79, 74kg and if I remember the numbers from my last testing on an ergometer a couple of years ago, it was approx 58 (mL/kg/min) and 345W, so actually the w/kg for VO2 max are pretty similar between us with FTP around 4 W/kg (you might be slightly higher?), which falls right into the ballpark of "standard amateur" rider with several years of training but (probably) no early years (under 20) endurance sports experience.

P.S. Your weigth for your height seems to be pretty :shock: , I mean, wasn't Andy Schleck also like 1.81/67 kg, for instance?
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

jeffy

by jeffy

in this situation is vo2 max power = 5 min peak?

or is this a ramped tested? what is the methodology?

davidalone

by davidalone

It was ramp tested. power started at 100w and wet up every minute by ( I think?) 30 watts. No off the saddle pedalling, and exhaustion is defined as dropping below 70rpm cadence.

@Mrlobber my FTP is actually lower-around 3.6. I was an XC runner from the ages of 17-18 and was in the army from 19-20, so yes, actually some endurance training below 20. I do think I have room for improvement because fitness isn't 100% right now, probably 70-80%
and yes that weight is correct :D.Lean but not grotesquely thin. I am blessed with really long legs so alot of that weight is in the lower body.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

I'd say 318 seems pretty low as well. I had similar numbers when I tested 3 years ago and I'm like 10kg lighter. Maybe there's a fit problem? Or you're all slow-twitch muscle.

lrdunc

by lrdunc

Interesting stuff...thanks for sharing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AlexJ

by AlexJ

Depending on the ramp protocol adopted, the competency of sport science staff, equipment; can all have an impact upon the results. Not saying anything at all just making the statement as such.
Also depending how they worked out your peak power and your peak vo2 max.

I personally use using Kuipers et al, (1985) method.

I would say 318 is low, Inefficiency is a term thrown around without a full understanding. cyclist are typically 20-25% 'efficient' but depends if you look, at gross/delta/net etc.
your vo2 max isn't bad at all.

Working to improve your power at Vo2 max to push that up ,would be suggestible; however without much background about yourself, a history as such. It's mainly guess work.
MTB Rider.

TORQ Performance.
#Science