How do I train for an upcoming race?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

PrettyA

by PrettyA

Hey guys, It's my first time posting in the Training section of WW. I'm 17 years old and I signed up for a race that'll happen on Nov 1st and I've been following the training tips on GCN. The race would be a small circuit race of 6 laps of 3.3km, it's all flat and has 3 sharp corners. I've been practising HIIT and have been increasing the number of intervals. I'm wondering if there are any other tips that can help improve my racing as I can hold 38km/h for 1 hr and I'm sure the race wouldn't take an hour. Also, for experienced racers, do you have any quick tips for such a short race? like trying to breakaway or staying in the front. I won't be racing alone as I will have 4 guys with me and we're willing to help each other as much as possible. My max sprint speed is 63km/h on a flat, should I go for the sprint or be the domestique and help my teammates?

Rick

by Rick

Is this your first race ?

If so, I would concentrate on staying in a safe place in the pack and stay relaxed and safe. Then see what happens.

Keep up your same training until then. Sounds pretty good.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jmdesignz2

by Jmdesignz2

Hi - have you guys tried to simulate racing together? Try some rides and practice riding more together

Jmdesignz2

by Jmdesignz2

also if you are working as a team, who is the better sprinter? Can you work out team tactics a bit more before this race?

This race is 19.8 km / 12.3 miles so it sounds like it's going to be basically a sprint the whole way? The race would be over in 30 minutes I expect...

What age group? Is everyone limited to a 14T small cog?

Any youtube vids of this race? Sounds like it's pretty intense.

PrettyA

by PrettyA

The race is hosted by Giant as anniversary race, the start of the race would likely be an all out sprint but i think it would break down into one big peloton. Since I'm 17 years old, I compete in the adult age group which is a disadvantage for me. We haven't talked much about team tactics yet but we're having a meeting in a few days about it. There is no limit to cogs and this is my second race.

tmr5555

by tmr5555

- stay at the back of the peloton, as it's your first race, observe the peloton and how it "flows".
- Be mentally prepared to be nudged and elbowed, don't freak out when it happens
- Hold your line
- Don't brake unless absolutely necessary, try getting "un-aero" by raising your body first.
- if you must brake notice how the handlebar turns if you grab too much front brake at high speeds, so drag brake the rear to shed speed.
- If you go ahead and want to pull don't get fooled to pull longer than others
- if you feel good in the last lap try a breakaway. As it's your first race i strongly advise against going for a bunch sprint, as it's the most dangerous part of the race.
- let's say you INSIST on sprinting in a bunch, launching while 5 rows behind is a recipie for disaster.
-Read "how to race criteriums" articles.

- As you have 4 fellow riders, let's assume you are the fastest sprinter a good tactic could be to have your teammates launching consecutive attacks to tire other teams before the final sprint, you have to be very well coordinated with your mates to pull this off properly as the other racers weren't born yesterday, it takes some time to learn how to read a race
but this is one of the oldest tricks in the book.
Good luck.

Edit= first/second race, these points still apply.

RyanH

by RyanH

Do you have a link to the flyer? If it's three sharp corners, you'll get shelled quickly sitting in the back of the pack. If you can stay in the top 10-15 through the race, your legs will be a lot fresher and the risk of crashing should be reduced (for you at least, those around you might be at greater risk). The best thing you can do right now is to partake in any crit like training group rides and spend as much time getting comfortable in the pack and being near the front. Getting a few hours of that type of riding in to improve your comfort should have the greatest impact on your race.

PrettyA

by PrettyA

I have a link for the race
http://mp.weixin.qq.com/s?__biz=MjM5MDM ... scene=0#rd
If you scroll down you can see the race map, do you experienced racers have any tips on where to watch out, where to break away, kinda like Sagan on 23rd Street in World Champs =D For the map, the dark blue track is the race course and we are racing clock wise, so there is a sharp turn before the finish, which means that the turn would determine who wins. The race starts at the yellow line.

AJS914

by AJS914

Is this a sanctioned race with licensed riders? Or, is it a public race?

If it is the later, it's going to be a free for all. I wouldn't have any specific strategy for your first race other than get to the start line early, be right on the line at the start, and then do your best to ride in the top 10-15 the whole race.

Most likely you'll end up farther back and unable to get back to the front. And when you do, just ride safe as there is nothing on the line.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com