Wahoo KICKR or the Elite Real Turbo Muin

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Wahoo KICKR or the Elite Real Turbo Muin

Wahoo KICKR
64%
Elite Real Turbo Muin
36%

Total votes: 28

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

Need to buy a Turbo and want one where I can ride real courses / upload to Strava to relieve boredom as well as ride at FTP. Want to use my iPad as the screen. I think it has to be the Wahoo KICKR or the Elite Real Turbo Muin. I like the look of the KICKR as it seems to work well Zwift and have not seen a Turbo Muin yet but I hear Elite are releasing a new version Elite Real Turbo Muin B+ and it surely must have some upgrade over the additional Bluetooth connectivity? Also I have had several Elite Turbos over the years and they have all lasted very well. Any opinions / advice please. I will use wit ha campy hub but I think they both need an additional free-hub at extra cost...
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

jorisee01

by jorisee01

I'm going for the Elite Qubo Digital Smart B+. You need your rear wheel to use it but it does all the other stuff. Is controlled over FE-C so you can let apps, like Zwift, control the resistance of your trainer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

whydobearsxplod

by whydobearsxplod

The new new elite real turbo muin b+ also has been upgraded to communicate over fe-c. Otherwise, I believe it is identical to the old one.

I have the old one. It is a great trainer and very quiet. The included software is a bit buggy though. However, I really only use it for erg mode which works great!

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Kickr with a 5800 casette? Will play nice with your Campy (assuming 11s) cassetes are dirt cheap compared to campy also. Ive put a couple of hundred hours on mine using trainer road/zwift and the only complaint I had was the factory skewer was a bit sub par, an old ultegra one fixed that issue tho.
Using Tapatalk

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

Nefarious86 wrote:Kickr with a 5800 casette? Will play nice with your Campy (assuming 11s) cassetes are dirt cheap compared to campy also. Ive put a couple of hundred hours on mine using trainer road/zwift and the only complaint I had was the factory skewer was a bit sub par, an old ultegra one fixed that issue tho.

Really, are all 11 speed groupsets using the same sprocket gaps? that's handy to know! Yes I have 11s Super record (2015) on the bike likely to end up on the turbo and currently 10s Chorus on the other but soon to be upgraded to 11s Chorus.
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

They are all close enough that it is fine, set the casette up with the correct shims and enjoy. With a kicker you use the same gear the entire workout in ERG mode anyway. I'm tempted to put a single speed cog/spacer kit on mine TBH. I rarely use Zwift and its 5 mins to swap out a casette if I do want to use it.
Using Tapatalk

dmulligan

by dmulligan

I've got a Cycleops Fluid 2 that I've been using with a power metre and Trainerroad. Is the Kickr better enough to warrant the upgrade cost?

Sent from my Oneplus One using Tapatalk

boysa

by boysa

Nefarious86 wrote:With a kicker you use the same gear the entire workout in ERG mode anyway.

+1. My Kickr is where the cassettes go after being taken out of the regular rotation. I can put several weeks/months on the 11, then the 12, and finally the 13. These always have some life left in them compared to the rest of the bunch.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

This in a 22t will probably be what I end up using spaced to suit the small ring, if I need a casette for Zwift its a 5 min job. I find that the lower the gear inches the more precise ERG mode seems to track.

http://www.jensonusa.com/Surly-Single-Speed-Cog
Using Tapatalk

boysa

by boysa

That is interesting. I never went above 13t, so I haven't experimented with the precision based on gearing. While in Erg mode, I always set my power off my power meter, and it usually falls in the neighborhood of about a 10W differential.

This, of course, was how I made it through the last two New England winters. Now? I'm in Hawaii and the Kickr is collecting dust (well, technically it's under a dust cover, so it's still clean!).

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

I find it reacts smother using 39 21-25 than using the 53, puerly anecdotal but it makes sense from a mechanical/theory standpoint and power shifts feel more direct.
Using Tapatalk

boysa

by boysa

Great info. I'll give it a try the next time I fire it up.

jorisee01

by jorisee01

My Elite Qubo Digital Smart B+ just came in. Can't wait to hook him to my computer and let it punish me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kode54

by kode54

cmcdonnell wrote:
Nefarious86 wrote:Kickr with a 5800 casette? Will play nice with your Campy (assuming 11s) cassetes are dirt cheap compared to campy also. Ive put a couple of hundred hours on mine using trainer road/zwift and the only complaint I had was the factory skewer was a bit sub par, an old ultegra one fixed that issue tho.

Really, are all 11 speed groupsets using the same sprocket gaps? that's handy to know! Yes I have 11s Super record (2015) on the bike likely to end up on the turbo and currently 10s Chorus on the other but soon to be upgraded to 11s Chorus.

i have a Campy SR11 bike on a Kickr with a spare DA9000 cassette that i had (11-25T). gears are a big issue on the Kickr like it is on the bike (11-27T) on bike. no issues with shifting. gap is probably so close that it doesn't matter.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mfuchs1

by mfuchs1

You could also look into Tacx Smart trainers like the Vortex or Bushido. I have the Vortex and it does everything that you are looking for and probably at a lower price too.