Office Recovery

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

borist

by borist

Hey Guys,
Been reading for a while... only just registered.
I have been riding for a few years now and am just getting into racing. Just like most of you, I work in an office (9-5, Mon-Fri) and have to fit all my cycling training before or after work. So I wonder, how does everyone manage recovery when they have to go to the office and sit down all day?
My current routine is to finish the session/arrive at work, shower, then have breakfast (including protein powder) within around 30-45 mins of finishing. I try to put my legs up under my desk and also try to get up or walk around every 30 mins or so during the day. Once I get home from work I will usually do some stretching to help loosen up for the next day.
I was thinking of getting compression pants to wear under my clothes at work... does anyone do this? Or are there any other secrets?
Many thanks in advance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CulBaire

by CulBaire

Similar boat here, typically I will do the same as yourself; eat breakfast on the way to, or at work <45mins from finishing workout. I try to get out of the office and go for a decent but easy walk at lunch (30min or so). Other that a bit of stretching here and there. A big key for recovery is adequate sleep, heavily dependent on the individual as to how much is needed but I find it’s important not to cut sleep for the sake of training as I find it counterproductive. Up early for a ride, go to bed early! :wink:

Stammer

by Stammer

My workout is after office hours, so before dinner and then a good sleep until the next morning. The key for my recovery is enough sleep (7hrs), although waking up with a bit of heavy legs, I am ready for the next workout in the evening!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marin

by Marin

Important - make sure you don't work too hard during office hours!

CulBaire

by CulBaire

Marin wrote:Important - make sure you don't work too hard during office hours!

This, so much this! :-P

Sent from my C2105 using Tapatalk

Rick

by Rick

My experience is that compression really does help recovery. But wearing compression tights is a little inconvenient so I rarely actually do it. Only on days when my legs are really aching.

Also, in order to be effective, the compression has to be really tight. Most of the "compression wear" on the market is really a joke.
I have some medical compression hose, like these:
http://www.brightlifedirect.com/sigvari ... 40mmhg.asp

It really takes some work to pull them on. But they really give great compression that seems to work. At least it makes my legs feel better and I think they may actually relieve fatigue just by boosting blood pressure.

drchull

by drchull

That is quite heavy compression, likely more than most would need or many would tolerate. Compression works better for recovery with movement.

I think there is good value to just socks or sleeves for those who sit all day but especially for those on their feet all day. I would think of it when sitting as more prevention of the heavy legs that come with sitting all day adding to the fatigue of training than necessarily improving recovery significantly.

There are a number of pneumatic compression devices that could be in theory put on while sitting at the desk, these would work better. Other option is something like a complex using the post exercise recovery protocols.

borist

by borist

Thanks all, appreciate the help.
I am thinking compression might be the best. I certainly suffer from "bloated legs" at the end of each day. I have found putting my feet up under my desk helps this but not as much as I would like :lol:

borist

by borist

Wanted to provide feedback on some results... I have been using compression pants (Skins A200) under my pants at work. To be honest, I was a little skeptical at first, but they seem to be doing the trick. I wouldn't say I am recovering quicker, but they definitely make my legs feel better after sitting down most of the day. They also seem to get rid of the swelling that happens when you sit down all day.
So other than compression pants, a walk at lunch, stretching when I get home and a few doses of protein... there doesn't seem much else to do. Well, maybe stop working in an office :P

drchull

by drchull

That is good. You may try just some socks, a lot of the benefit and a lot more comfortable. Sockwell is finally making some interesting looking compression socks instead of just boring black or white. Leg sleeves are also good option for comfort.

KWalker

by KWalker

I stand most of the work day regardless of riding, or alter sitting/standing every 15/20min. Also make it a point to walk at least 2 miles a day if not more and generally walk for 30min on my lunch break and at least 30min after work.

Average riding volume per week is 13-16hrs. I'm sorry, but I don't believe recovery is an issue for most people in the same way it is for elite athletes. You don't need to just sit on a couch all day after a workout where you barely crack 1000kj. Standing while working has been shown to do everything from increase circulation to lowering blood pressure. Probably the only thing I do is use generic compression socks from Amazon, which have been shown to work just as well as the fancy crap. And quad compression is really unnecessary.

Typical morning routine is generally a 1.5-2hr ride ~1100-1600kj. Come home, eat and shower, ride 30min zone 1 into work and later 30min zone 1 back home. What we do as amateurs really is not that hard in the scheme of things. People burn almost as many calories in very active jobs or playing recreational sports plus weightlifting after work. Maybe during a biiiiig build or taper period sure, double up on the recovery, but if you treat every day like you have the queen stage tomorrow you run out of possible recovery options to enhance your routine when it really matters.

Since actually remaining active for most of the day I have found that I recover much, much faster. It also seems that I'm able to eat a lot more and weigh less. Wins across the board.

If you look at naturally lean populations or individuals you will notice that they all tend to move a lot, but typically at a slow(er) pace. If anything I suspect the constant apendicular blood flow probably does everything from circulate nutrients that are in the blood stream to prevent aerterial plaque build-up and its not necessarily some diet/cultural variable.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com