Managing both running and cycling

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

nickcube

by nickcube

Hi all,

Just wondering if, and how, people are able to manage a running and cycling program together. A little bit of background, I mainly race Cross Country mtb and Cyclocross, along with the odd crit here and there. My training isn't too serious and I compete mainly for the fun of it. My running training is for cross country running and for my age(I'm 16) is 5km long. I've been juggling both for a while and now since my cycling has finished it's time to focus on my running for the the next month or so. I will say I've noticed an improvement in my cycling and also a massive improvement in my running as a result of doing both. So, what I'm getting here is: what are any training tips you've used to help out both running and cycling and keep on form with both?
Cheers to anyone who can help me

mattr

by mattr

Lots of stretching. Not just after exercise, but when you have spare time. Maybe yoga too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sanrensho

by sanrensho

mattr wrote:Lots of stretching. Not just after exercise, but when you have spare time. Maybe yoga too.

I usually run 1-2x/week during prime riding season, up to 2-3x/week during "off-season." Generally about an hour per run.

I personally feel cycling is beneficial to a running program as cross-training, and have heard others say the same. Saves wear and tear on the joints while building up your aerobic engine.

I find that climbing strength on the bike crosses over to uphill running strength. (I'm a much better runner uphill than on flat terrain.) Also, I think recovery rides are beneficial after a hard run (same or next day).

Good luck with your cross-country season, I have a daughter who is gearing up for her season as well.

jimborello

by jimborello

You are close to turning to the dark side (triathlon) . Try it, I already crossed that line and I enjoy both a lot, but definitely the running taxes the body way more than the bike.

drchull

by drchull

Jimbo I feel your pain. I have been cyclist that denigrates tri guys for 20+ years and am now thinking of doing a half ironman next year for a new challenge (or maybe an excuse to buy new gadgets).
Just see if I can these damn hip flexors lengthened from years of cycling and not stretching much.

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

I've been training for Miami 70.3 coming up next month. Here's the skinny on the riding + running.

- Hip flexors really get taxed when doing a cycling + running schedule. I stretch and foam roll daily just to feel the relief.
- On the weekends, long rides on Saturday and then long run on Sunday is easier than vice versa. Long ride being anywhere in the range of 80-160 kilometers and long runs ranging anywhere from 10k to 20k, depending on when you're trying to peak.
- Recovery riding feels really good after long runs, and the day after a recovery ride always feels better than not doing a recovery ride.
- If you're on a 3x run 3x ride schedule like me, the recovery weeks where you push back your volume are essential to being able to carry on with a program.
- Know your pace zones, there will definitely be days where you have to hold back so you can live to train tomorrow.

Reading back those points made me realize everything is about managing recovery when doing both sports simultaneously. Don't exert too much if you have problems pushing threshold pace on the run, and definitely take an easy day on the bike if you're having difficulty holding sweet spot watts (if you have a power meter).

skinnie

by skinnie

This is a topic which I have interest too.
What I've heard is that runners are good cyclists but good cyclists are not good runners =)
Carrera Scatto/Ultegra R8000 11s/Campangolo Shamal Mille

sanrensho

by sanrensho

skinnie wrote:What I've heard is that runners are good cyclists but good cyclists are not good runners =)

I guess it would depend on the running discipline. But Geoff Kabush just won the Grouse Grind race and Sebastien Salas holds the race record.

There's also the fact that injured runners inevitably pick up cycling, not the other way around.

RyanH

by RyanH

skinnie wrote:This is a topic which I have interest too.
What I've heard is that runners are good cyclists but good cyclists are not good runners =)

I won't claim that I'm a good runner but last year I went on a few runs in the off season, probably 8 in the span of a month and set a treadmill pr for a 10k at 39:20 or so.

That was the first bit of running that I had done in 6 months, which back then I tried running twice a week for 3 months. I wanted to do a 10k back then so I focused on getting my times to the sub 40 min area. Prior to that, it was probably several years since I ran consistently as my primary form of exercise while in college.

My ability to improve beyond that is probably very limited without serious training but the one thing I have found is that cycling has seriously increased my pain threshold, so I can probably pick any two weeks and get a sub 40 min 10k in by the end of that time (and feel like ass for the week after)

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drchull

by drchull

sanrensho wrote:
skinnie wrote:What I've heard is that runners are good cyclists but good cyclists are not good runners =)

I guess it would depend on the running discipline. But Geoff Kabush just won the Grouse Grind race and Sebastien Salas holds the race record.

There's also the fact that injured runners inevitably pick up cycling, not the other way around.

Actually I see these as easier races for cyclists. The grind is almost more of a stair climb than a running race. For me this doesn't tax the hip flexors as much and really uses the cycling muscles more. I actually find running in the flats more challenging from a old body that doesn't want to change perspective. I can't run five km at the start of my running but throwing a heavy pack on and bombing around Squamish or Skaha all day is no problem at all.