Elite Real turbo muin

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

benzebub

by benzebub

Hello guys,

I'm looking at buying a trainer for the upcoming winter.
I'm able to buy the elite real turbo muin at a great price and wanted to know if anybody has any experience using this trainer?

from what I understand this trainer is able to do most of the things the Wahoo Kickr can, except for ERG mode, am I right in assuming this?

I'd love to own a Kickr but it's just so expensive!
For the same money I could buy the real turbo muin and add a stages power meter (ok, not for the same price but it would not be much more than the kickr).

what do you guys think? buy the real turbo muin + powermeter or shell out for the wahoo kickr?
But I could be wrong

whydobearsxplod

by whydobearsxplod

The following feature description from their webpage makes me think erg mode is possible:

"BASE TRAINING: constant power training sessions, levels, pre-set programs"

Can anyone confirm either way? I am also in the market for one of these as I need an erg capable trainer that is as quiet as possible.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nfecyle

by nfecyle

The real turbo Muin is similar with with kickr in terms on price and electronically controlled resistance. The regular turbo muin though is the cheaper fluid resistance trainer. I research a little bit about trainer when I bought mine. I had already power2max therefore i didn't consider the kicker since it is very expensive. A lot people were complaining if the resistance are too high for the turbo muin although it is pretty quiet. I ultimately ended up with Jetblack Whisperdrive. It is a very quiet trainer also, but the main reason is i was able to buy them from local store (REI) for a good price, and REI has very nice return policy in case i didn't like what I buy. It come with a free apps similar to trainer road. it is magnetically controlled resistance so you can control the resistance. One problem though if you re in USA though it has limited lifetime warranty, the support seem pretty poor for this region, fortunately the trainer looks like bomb proof.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

My vote is for Kickr. Running Zwift it has effectively "saved" my form over winter. Yes the power readings are a little flaky at times but the course simulation and effective "engagement" to the riding is worth the price of admission.

Erg modes are over-rated in my opinion.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

nfecyle

by nfecyle

I was thinking exchanging my jetblack with kickr for a while. Then i tried zwift, it seems riding trainer while looking at on screen motion give me dizziness after a while. Also i dont think i would last that long on zwift due to boredom. I rather do the specific work out for 30 to 60 min and be done. To op, if you plan to use it with zwift, i think it worth the investment. It cost almost 2x, but its long term investment.

bangkok

by bangkok

Note that one draw for ERTM/EliteRealTurboMuin is use of their “Realvideo” and “My Realvideo” course file downloads for on-screen trainer–linked cycle simulation (as linked to live resistance value, downhill effect, etc) on actual real-world ridden video courses.

While Elite offer many professionally done vids on famous Euro routes (“Realvideo”), there are as well hundreds of free user-made course vid’s available at Elite’s website (“My Realvideo”) as recorded from user rides in locations around the world. If you see a match for the route you desire (i.e whatever distance, climb, country, etc) the file is available for download-to-PC for use with Elite’s PC app that drives the ERTM.
http://elite-real.com/en/real-video

“My Realvideo” files are made using Elite’s cell phone app (Android/Apple), with that file uploaded to Elite’s site for finished vid creation (link vid image to geo data as drives trainer resistance function). One can record ones own ride and create a similar file; to obtain the finished PC-ready file and then choose to keep it online for others to download.
http://elite-real.com/en/my-realvideo

The Realvideo/MyRealvideo courses measure/display all ride data (power, speed, cadence, etc) from inbuilt ERTM sensors ... and while not perfect, it means any bike can be used. The PC app (or another phone app if desired) is required to use the ERTM, and to ride such a Real course one selects the desired course file etc.

While the Elite hardware is solid, all the new associated video software is new to Elite, and still a bit rough at the edges for software product quality. But it works out of the box and is a feature some would value.

whydobearsxplod

by whydobearsxplod

By the way, according to dcrainmaker, the elite real training software can do erg mode.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/11/wint ... depth.html

With this, it seems to me that the real muin and the kickr can do essentially the same things. Although, elite hasn't opened up the muin to the ant+ open trainer profile yet.

benzebub

by benzebub

great, thanks for the info!
I might have a lead to buy the kickr for the same price as the real turbo muin, which trainer would you guys prefer?

I'm leaning towards the kickr..
But I could be wrong

whydobearsxplod

by whydobearsxplod

I'd lean towards the kickr right now unless noise is an issue. The kickr is about as loud as an average standard trainer.

yongkun

by yongkun

Strangely I have some issue tightening my bike rear to the muin, with some play. Anyone has experience in eliminating it? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whydobearsxplod

by whydobearsxplod

Just thought I would add my very short review in here. I've had the real turbo muin a few weeks.

I'm living in an apartment where I was worried the noise of other trainers would be an issue. I'm beyond pleased in that aspect. It's astonishingly quiet. My fan easily drowns out the noise of the unit and my bike. There's also no low-frequency vibration that might get transmitted through the floors.

I can confirm that the included software does have erg mode. It is very responsive and it's pretty easy to build a training session within the application. Honestly, this alone is worth the ticket price for me, but a quiet trainer with erg mode capability was exactly what I wanted.

There are other features of course. Generally, the software is clunky, but the user-created video library one of the other posters mentioned looks very promising. I'm sure zwift will be entertaining as well.

I'll simply be echoing other reviewers of this by saying, overall this is an amazing piece of hardware which is held back a bit by less-than-stellar software.

javier87gav

by javier87gav

I am interested in this trainer. I have two questions to anybody who has the Real Turbo Muin:

- Is the resistance similar to the "road resistance"? I mean, a 4%, for example, in the trainer is similar to a 4% in the road??
- if you have a power meter: Is the power estimated by the Real Turbo Muin similar to the real power?

Thanks.

bruno2000

by bruno2000

I'm about to buy an Elite Real turbo muin b+.
I want to use it with my smartkphone.

Will I be able to see the video' from the 'MyVideo' download section or do I need a table pc for that?

Mankul

by Mankul

nfecyle wrote: The regular turbo muin though is the cheaper fluid resistance trainer. I research a little bit about trainer when I bought mine. I had already power2max therefore i didn't consider the kicker since it is very expensive. A lot people were complaining if the resistance are too high for the turbo muin although it is pretty quiet.

I'm using the regular Turbo Muin with stages power meter. I do my workouts based on the readings on my Garmin 510.

The key to using the regular Turbo Muin is having the right gearing.

I'm using 50-34 on the front and 12-23 cogset. 11-23 is also good.

most of my workouts I use 34T front. That gives me proper cadences for the power ranges that I one.

I presume the rest felt the resistance was too high because they are using 53-39 chainring.

Doing workouts with 39T front will simply be too high a resistance at low cadence..... if you know what I mean...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nomarkp

by nomarkp

I have a turbo muin. And playing zwift. It is interesting.