Cycling to Extremes: Are endurance athletes hurting their he

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

53x12

by 53x12

"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nfecyle

by nfecyle

Anybody here have experience with afib and ablation? I would love to hear it. I myself had an afib ablation, the experience had been very frustating. Altough i am in sinus now and start riding again, there is that fear that it would come back if i push too hard.

drchull

by drchull

Found it to be very interesting article, which is unusual for velonews. I guess we are the first generation of endurance athletes pushing on for as long as we have. The scar tissue on the heart is interesting and very similar to what happens in CAD when areas of hypokinesia are seen without distinct blockages. Wonder if ACE inhibitor would slow the progress of the scarring like in CHF, wouldn't want to see athletes on Spironolactone though, bad news that.

Post ablation really best thing to do is try in a controlled environment like on a trainer, hard part is being able to identify for yourself if you are in a. fib. Could get set up with Holter of Loop monitor and get on the trainer. Avoid anything caffeinated, alcohol, stay hydrated, try to avoid really hot days and progress intensity slowly. Or even better talk to the EP doc who did the ablation about setting up a plan to return to training.

Numerous athletes have gone through ablation and returned. Forget who it was just returning to cycling, Struve in the UFC is returning from ablation. Can be done, question is how hard do you really want to come back given that it you may just redevelop the problem for yourself.