Quitting smoking... !

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

MikeMoore

by MikeMoore

Running also made me feel really out of breath and reminded me why I wanted to stop smoking too.

On a mental note - tell yourself that you have STOPPED smoking, not that you have quit. It's a small thing but does create a positive change rather than a negative one.
Weight 74.4kg, FTP 303W => 4.04 W/kg

Retired Bikes
Custom 650B Kingdom Double9
Kinesis Aithein / Kinesis Racelight 4S

Current bikes
Reilly Spectre / Cervelo R3
Pivot Les / Pivot Mach4SL
Ventana El Conquistador

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Not sure why alcohol use is getting lumped in. As long as consumption is moderate 1-2 glasses of wine or a bottle of beer there's no ill effect. And after a long hot day in the saddle enjoying a cold beer revives me in a way nothing else does, especially on the train ride home if that's how the ride ends.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

fromtrektocolnago wrote:Not sure why alcohol use is getting lumped in. As long as consumption is moderate 1-2 glasses of wine or a bottle of beer there's no ill effect. And after a long hot day in the saddle enjoying a cold beer revives me in a way nothing else does, especially on the train ride home if that's how the ride ends.

I think it is because earlier in the thread someone mentioned how drinking can kind of open the door to a smoking relapse, both because of the "loosening up" effect of alcohol, and particularly because many people have a past history of engaging in them simultaneously, so the drinking acts as a trigger for a previously conditioned response.

Regarding drinking in general, there are a million different ways to slice and dice the data, showing both assets and liabilities to moderate use. It is a complex and nuanced enough picture that it is fruitless to try to evaluate on a personal level based on large scale scientific research, so I advocate being honest with yourself and asking, "Do I feel that this is enhancing my life, overall?". If the answer is "yes", as it is in your case, then that is the right choice for you, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.