Feet swell up and hurt in hot weather!

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Multebear

by Multebear

Has anyone else had this problem? And how do you solve it?

I live and usually ride in northern europe, and have had no problems there for several thousand kms. But this summer I've been traveling with my bike to southern europe, and have had around 35-38 degrees celsius (95-100 fahrenheit) during my training sessions. After around 2 hours this results in swollen and hurting feet especially around the big toe and 5. metatarsal joint on both feet. Even opening the shoes both a little bit and a lot doesn't seem to help. First after training, when I take my shoes of, the hurt stops.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I was getting this too, especially on my Cuba rides. Removed insoles, problem gone.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Bigger shoes
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

KH

by KH

I struggled with this exact issue for years. Long rides on hot days, especially in the mountains.

I found a very simple solution. I have a pair of shoes one size bigger that I use in very hot weather/for long rides when it's hot. Same shoes as my 'standard' shoes (Giro Factor).

Problem solved!

drchull

by drchull

That or compression socks.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Bont shoes??
BB

Coffee & carbon

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Bigger shoes are probably a good bet but may feel awkward.
Have you checked whether you should be running a wider Q factor in general?
The pressure point there is often an indication that your feet are trying to spread out. A wider stance might alleviate that stress.
You could also look into canting the shoe with a shim (Wedges, etc.) to see if that addresses the problem.
But if this is happening on hot days after a few hours only, it is probabl your feet swelling and pressing up against the shoe.

drchull

by drchull

Can also happen when cleats are worn and feet rock a little more.

Multebear

by Multebear

Thanks guys. My shoes are Sidi Wires, and they are the exact right size - I'm not using insoles. My cleats are pretty new still. I guess a bigger size would help. Maybe a cheaper bigger shoe would work, for the few days I'm riding in hot weather.

nlouthan

by nlouthan

Another option would be to use a bunion stretcher to just give you a bit more room in the shoe. Most cobblers and higher end bike fitters will have one.

Geoff

by Geoff

I have that same problem. I have tried lots of things, but have never found a solution. The only thing that works for me is cooler weather!

Multebear

by Multebear

Geoff wrote:I have that same problem. I have tried lots of things, but have never found a solution. The only thing that works for me is cooler weather!

Did you try all/most of the above advices and still no results?

Geoff

by Geoff

And more! It is very strange. Because it happens infrequently, I haven't been able to reproduce it in a controlled environment where a doctor can help me understand it.

kode54

by kode54

KH wrote:I struggled with this exact issue for years. Long rides on hot days, especially in the mountains.

I found a very simple solution. I have a pair of shoes one size bigger that I use in very hot weather/for long rides when it's hot. Same shoes as my 'standard' shoes (Giro Factor).

Problem solved!

thats what i do.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

kode54

by kode54

Multebear wrote:Thanks guys. My shoes are Sidi Wires, and they are the exact right size - I'm not using insoles. My cleats are pretty new still. I guess a bigger size would help. Maybe a cheaper bigger shoe would work, for the few days I'm riding in hot weather.

maybe look at a wider shoe. Sidi makes wide ones...but since i switched from Sidi to S-Works, i haven't had those issues at all. right now, i'm wearing half size larger shoes...and are the ones i usually ride with. on winter days, i'll put thicker socks on, so i've been using the same shoe. i have the correct sized shoe...and use them in spring and fall.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com