Best online training resources

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

nemeseri

by nemeseri

So I'm about to get a power meter and start to get serious about training. What are the best training plan websites? I already heard about trainer road, but I don't have a trainer and I don't want to ride inside.

I'm also thinking about using training peaks, but they only offer quite expensive training programs. Strava introduced workout programs too, but I haven't checked them yet. Sufferfest offers a few plans, but those seems to be less focused / generic plans.

Any other sites I should check out?

boysa

by boysa

Read as much as you can and create your own plan. Golden Cheetah is remarkable. Install it, start logging data, and see how things progress. Then, if you feel stumped and want more, get a coach.

Or, save yourself a lot of wasted time and missteps and get a coach now.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Yep, read, read, keeping reading, don't stop reading. Ever.

A coach can be a worthwhile investment, especially if they are informative and educational as things go along.*

* I am a little biased here ;)
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

boysa

by boysa

Good point, TW. Not all coaches are equal! If you go that route, don't be discouraged if the first coach you try doesn't work out. Keep looking, and you will find someone who "fits."

I say this as a coach, albeit for a different sport. I was always quick to let an athlete know if we weren't going to mesh well together. I wasn't afraid to be candid, and no point in wasting each other's time. If a coach can't be honest, he's not worth his salt.
Last edited by boysa on Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Thanks for all the suggestions. I might get a coach in the future, but first I want to do some tests, collect data and meanwhile start a training plan instead of just riding a lot. If I have enough data from past rides I can think about following a plan myself or find a coach.

boysa wrote:Read as much as you can and create your own plan. Golden Cheetah is remarkable. Install it, start logging data, and see how things progress. Then, if you feel stumped and want more, get a coach.

Or, save yourself a lot of wasted time and missteps and get a coach now.

Is golden cheetah better than training peaks? Some of my friends use training peaks with their coaches, but I have absolutely no experience with neither of them.

KheSanh wrote:https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/knowledge/training-plans

I will check these out in details. Thanks!

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

I have used TrainingPeak and Golden Cheetah.

For my uses GC can manage multiple athletes and do most of what TP does and it's free. And it has AeroLab which is just awesome for field testing analysis.

Did I mention GC was free?

Now certain people (*Cough* *cough* *coggan*) might argue the intricate differences between the two but managing clients training is dead easy with GC and I prefer the interface.

And it's free!
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."

boysa

by boysa

GC. Free. Free. Free.

Open source rocks, and Mark and the other fine gentlemen behind it are tremendous. Lots of hard work for zero reward (outside of personal and group satisfaction). I started using it a few years ago, and it has progressed in leaps and bounds since then. I can't recommend it enough.

Gee whiz, where else can you made a suggestion and see it implemented in a future build?

CulBaire

by CulBaire

Did anyone mention that Golden Cheetah is FREE?.. :thumbup:

I have used both Training Peaks, and Golden Cheetah both have their pros and cons but GC wins out ultimately due to the ability to customize EVERYTHING and it's FREE if that hasn't already been mentioned.

I have used a TP coach in the past (Lynda Wallenfels), but if I recall correctly it was prior to the whole “Peaks Coaching Group” thing; Linda was fantastic very helpful, responsive to questions, ideas and her training plans were well thought out – these days I believe there is a lot more volume, cookie cutter approach to coaching unless you are paying a fortune for the service which is unfortunate.

There are good coaches out there though; when hunting for mine I spoke to about 6 or so and eventually found good one through a referral (on here coincidentally enough).

TW’s advice is spot on, read, read, read, try different stuff… If you do hire a coach pick their brains as much as possible, soak it all in even if you don’t think the info is particularly useful at the time. :D

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Slightly off topic here but relatable - if the OP hasn't decided on a power metre yet would something like the Pioneer with its pedal stroke analysis be a better option due to the amount I'd data it generates? Would coaches find the pedal stroke analysis useful? Especially if starting from scratch so to speak in order to monitor changes or give skills/form/technique specific sessions to increase efficiency?

I've come from a swimming background so technique and efficiency was always a major focus, slightly different to cycling but if the information was there would it pay dividends over purely a fitness focus?

Just to reiterate Golden Cheetah is awesome and FREE![emoji23]

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

The Pioneer is a solid unit, and I have read pretty good things about it generally as a powermeter.

As for its ability in relation to pedal stroke analysis, no, generally pretty worthless. Biomechanical issues can exist with or without pedalling asymmetry and no-one (apart from anecdotes) has been able to come up with any sort of worthwhile protocol or study which proves that somehow bringing someone to, or close to a 50/50 balance is worth the time required to achieve.

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Tapeworm - great information. Will be interesting to see what, if anything, is done with all the extra data in the future.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Power balance between the legs has been in the realm of labs for decades, but only recently are we seeing a large number of commercial devices widely available. So maybe there will be enough data to show clear patterns and trends, but we will see.

It's a bit like the recent Retul thread. Power balance is a tool, it might help fit issues in the the hands of someone who knows what they are doing, or it could just make someone a lot worse.

Comfort, power production, and sound biomechanics are key for longevity in the sports and that may or may not have anything to do with power balance.

KWalker

by KWalker

Go on Amazon.com

Get the top 5 or 10 running books. Daniels, Lydiard, Coe, etc.

Get a few books perhaps on XC skiing.

Get books on block periodization.

Skiba's publications are useful.

Read them. Understand basic physiological concepts and how other endurance sports have used them to build great athletes. Cycling is years and years behind where these sports are and people such as Coggan are incredibly biased. And do not follow anything on Wattage blindly.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

motdoc

by motdoc

Flammerouge.je
A lot of free info and does do it yourself kits for starters.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com