almost pulling a calf muscle.

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

RChevalier

by RChevalier

It feels like I'm about to pull it. Especially when I am high cadence. lowering it, and lowering intensity makes it go away. Been like this for almost a year, but i've never actually pulled it, mostly because the thought terrifies me and i adjust immediately after the sensation. I also run regularly and no problems there with the calf what so ever. Only when I'm riding... anyone else experience something simliar?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mr4fox

by mr4fox

Is it only one side or both? i don't know if I've had the same problem but a friend and i have both had calf problems while riding. dropping the saddle height worked for both of us. My theory is we both have hamstrings that are shorter than they should be so our calves compensate and plantar flex at the bottom of the pedal stroke more than they should. This makes the muscle work in a shorter than optimal position which muscles don't tend to like. i still find that each time i raise my saddle even 5mm i feel it within a couple weeks...i need to stretch more...i should know better by now lol!

RChevalier

by RChevalier

Just the one side (Right). Do you find it's just your calves? or does the sensation extend to your hamstrings as well? I've been finding its going up my hams as well. I'll try lowering the saddle height.

KarlC

by KarlC

RChevalier wrote:Just the one side (Right). Do you find it's just your calves? or does the sensation extend to your hamstrings as well? I've been finding its going up my hams as well. I'll try lowering the saddle height.

I have what seams like the same issue, right leg only, mostly calve but goes go up into my hamstring a bit. Can be felt a bit at times when I ride but I feel it way more when I walk. I have had it since I started riding 6 months ago, been through 2 bikes, tried differed saddle heights and 2 differed sets of shoes and cleats. Stretching does help but it never goes away.

Maybe the right leg is shorter, so if its just 1 leg, maybe add a shim under the cleat on that side ?
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

drchull

by drchull

Leg length discrepancy could be part as could how you sit in the saddle, cleat position, pedalling style. Some people naturally point their toes when they pedal which over stresses the calf. Also may be more right leg dominant which is why only appears on that side.

Sometimes it happens because saddle is too high. Sliding cleat back a little may also help.

If it tends to occur more in a tuck than when sitting up climbing, hamstring flexibility also is probably coming into play.

I would start with leg length measurements and proper bike fit by someone who really knows what they are doing. As far as quick things to try as mentioned above , dropping or sliding saddle forward a few mm at a time and sliding cleat back a little. I can't stress this enough-a little. If your cleats are off between the two shoes by a few mm you likely can't see it, don't just slam them back as far as they go. Sliding the cleat back may also necessitate raising your saddle a little, so don't drop your saddle, slide it forward and bring your cleat back all at the same time.

RChevalier

by RChevalier

Well, after several different configurations, I finally figured out what made it go away - @KarlC you might want to try it out and see if it helps at all. I had the same calf to half way up hamstring issue you are talking about. What fixed it for me was to slide the saddle forward 4mm and I made a conscious effort to point the toes down when i pedaled. About 15-25 degrees I think... I was pedaling with the feet completely flat before. The saddle forward fixed the hamstring issue and the pedaling toes down fixed the calf issue.

KarlC

by KarlC

RChevalier, Thanks for the tips, will try for sure.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

KarlC

by KarlC

RChevalier wrote:Well, after several different configurations, I finally figured out what made it go away - @KarlC you might want to try it out and see if it helps at all. I had the same calf to half way up hamstring issue you are talking about. What fixed it for me was to slide the saddle forward 4mm and I made a conscious effort to point the toes down when i pedaled. About 15-25 degrees I think... I was pedaling with the feet completely flat before. The saddle forward fixed the hamstring issue and the pedaling toes down fixed the calf issue.

I tried moving the saddle forward a bit that did not seem to help so I moved it back.

Some good pre-ride stretches and a conscious effort to point my toes down when pedaling did help, its not 100% resolved yet but by doing both of these its much better.

Thx
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com