Retul fitting last night...

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

DanW

by DanW

I've never hear of MRI being used for a fit in any capacity so I am just as keen to hear more from KW.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KWalker

by KWalker

I went back through my email to find out that it was a computed radiography scan as mentioned here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2628227/. Apologies for the confusion. The fitter himself did not perform this, but a recommended practitioner in my medical network did and the results sent to him. Ironically the results confirmed simple external measurements. The interesting part about how none of the other fitters caught this is that they failed to realize that I had created a natural way of compensating for it through pelivic tilt and lower spine arch, which they tried to correct by lowering my saddle and moving it forward/moving my cleats.

The point remains that Retul is but a tool and most practitioners who use it are only educated by Retul or maybe SBCU and don't have a deep enough background to root out trouble problems.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

glepore

by glepore

On a lighter note, I'm wondering why the op went to the left coast for a fit but lives on the east coast (Jersey Shore)?
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

MikeDee

by MikeDee

My Retul fit was good, but it didn't address the main issue I was having, that being saddle discomfort. I also couldn't live with the cleat spacer under my right cleat and the 2cm pedal extension on my left side that caused knee pain and also looked ridiculous. Personally, I think Retul is only a tool, and the best thing to look for is the skill of the bike fitter.

jeffy

by jeffy

how does a 2 cm pedal spacer work?

MikeDee

by MikeDee

jeffy wrote:how does a 2 cm pedal spacer work?

It goes between the pedal and the crank arm. It was supposed to make my left knee track in a straight line when viewed from the front, instead of a looping motion.

hasbeen

by hasbeen

Retul can help a good fitter prove a point or make an idiot look smart. Be careful with whom you end up with.
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

Citizenfox

by Citizenfox

hasbeen wrote:Retul can help a good fitter prove a point or make an idiot look smart. Be careful with whom you end up with.

Well said. Mine was much more like exploring things I thought about where I was, looking at numbers to show what he was talking about etc... Not like "the machine says move it 3 cm".

KheSanh

by KheSanh

I used the Retul fitter due to all the positive feedback. He came to my work and fitted about 10 folk a year or so ago and another guy at work also got fitted recently and everyone only had positives to say. My fit went well, there was discussion both ways on what he thought and what I thought and the end result feels spot on.

Ozrider

by Ozrider

I had a Retul fit done last Wednesday. The fitter is well experienced and has a degree in Sports Science, as well as racing for a national team.
I have to agree that the experience and knowledge of the fitter is just as important as the fit system used.
He started with a full assessment of flexibility and range of motion of joints and a review of any injuries or issues/pain experienced while riding.
I was really happy with his feedback and rationale for the minor adjustments he made.
I also did a ramp test a week or so before the fit and will be doing another one two weeks post fit to check on power once I have adapted to the changes.
He moved cleats a few mm forward to get the ball of my foot slightly in front of the pedal axle, saddle up 3mm and rotated bars/hoods up a few degrees to give my wrists a more natural angle.
All in he spent about 3 1/2 hours and asked me to provide feedback when I see him in 2 weeks or to give home a call if I experience any issues.
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

laspariahs

by laspariahs

I had a retul fit done many years ago, by the owner/originator of retul, it worked out well for me at the time. As someone else mentioned it's just a tool though and I think it can easily be misused.