preparation for lactate treshold/VO2max test

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

benzebub

by benzebub

Hi guys,

I will be undergoing a lactate treshold/VO2max test in 2 weeks and want to make the best of this test.

what is the best way to prepare for a test like this? what are some good trainings to do in the next 2 weeks to make sure I make the best of it, and perhaps can get in a 1-2% (or more :lol: ) better shape for the test?
But I could be wrong

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

No great gains will come in 2 weeks, here's the best advice I can give leading to such a test:-
1. Don't stop training (blood plasma one of the quickest things to drop off).
2. Don't overtrain (don't go into the test fatigued).

These two will depend on what training you have been doing in all the weeks/months leading up to these last two weeks. You might be able to do some vo2max level efforts in these two weeks, but again, depends on what the fatigue load has been like.

If you've never done a vo2max test, or a ramp test then it's a little bit like the Matrix, no-one can be told what a vo2max test is like, you have to experience it for yourself.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

benzebub

by benzebub

fatigue load hasn't been that big, last 2 months have consisted mostly of 1-1,5h rides in tempo zone, 2-3h rides in endurance zone and some occasional 2x20 efforts and interval sessions. Always with a day of rest in between. I didn't get to put in the time I wanted because of work, family,.. the usual..

I'm mainly doing this test to get a picture of my fitness level and where my flaws lie, and to build a training plan with the test results as a guideline.
My riding zones (HR) so far have been based on some formula's I've found on the web and the basic garmin/polar 'estimations' but I'm ready to take my riding/training a bit more serious and I believe that an accurate lactate treshold and HR-zones could help me doing that.

I'm holding out for a powermeter until some of the cheaper alternatives will be released this summer/fall.
But I could be wrong

LouisN

by LouisN

I agree with the above. Nothing much you can do before.

I would bring someone you know to the test, someone who can help you to push your limits.

Louis :)

benzebub

by benzebub

thanks guys!

what about nutrition? thinking about downing a bidon of isotonic one hour before the test. are energy gels prior to the test considered as cheating? :lol:
But I could be wrong

Dodger747

by Dodger747

Ignorance is bliss, the less you know about a V02 max test the better...
VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
W/kg - 4.9

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

benzebub wrote:thanks guys!

what about nutrition? thinking about downing a bidon of isotonic one hour before the test. are energy gels prior to the test considered as cheating? :lol:

Depending on the testing protocol it's unlikely to go for any length of time that would require any special nutritional attention. If you have a normal amount of carbs in your general diet then this should take care of any needs to perform during the testing.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

benzebub

by benzebub

test went well, was very hard but in a certain way I enjoyed it.

max HR was 190, with a lactate level of 13 mmol/L
aerobic treshold is at 55% of my max and anaerobic is at 80%.
the test results showed that I was in good shape, but I had room for improvement at the base level and that I should train to push the aerobic treshold up.

any tips to do this? what are some good resources for training plans, tips,.. I don't race so don't see the need yet for a personal coach.
I think some good training plans could get me far for the rest of this season.
But I could be wrong