"Overtraining" on low volumes.

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

motdoc

by motdoc

I am a very cyclical rider, peaking for an event in the summer, training properly then dropping off and mostly just commuting or riding with buddies.

During the off phase I usually ride only 4-6 hours a week. Work kids etc etc. in order to keep some form with these low volumes should I just go all out everywhere? Or should I still try to keep majority zone 1 like "real training". I tried to maintain 2 * 20 through the off season a couple of times a week but lost the will to carry on.

Thanks for any advice.

Citizenfox

by Citizenfox

Read the "time crunched cyclist"

Do lots of shorter intervals and maybe do 2x20 once a week. .

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

I am not sure I understand the question.

You can overtrain on one hour a week. But it seems you are looking for a training structure?
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

Stammer

by Stammer

Training is all about specificity. There's a difference between going out just for riding, and going out for training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

motdoc

by motdoc

Sorry if unclear. Basically the question was "is it possible to overtrain coming down to 4-6 hours from 10-12". I guess tapeworm is right what I'm trying to do is maintain some fitness during the off season and wondering what a realistic way to do this is. Thanks for your time.

boots2000

by boots2000

Probably not over trained. Probably doing too little too support improvement.

dunbar42

by dunbar42

I don't see how you can overtrain by dropping your volume by 1/2 to 2/3. Cycling is low impact so it doesn't stress your joints unless you have a fit issue. So really the only way to overtrain yourself cycling is to really ramp up intensity and/or volume. Or trying to match a pro's volume if you've been riding for a while.

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

I suppose it would depend what the time you've lost from your training is being used for.
You still need time to recover.

An ex team mate of mine ended up completely off the bike through over training, even though he'd "lost" something like 15 hours a week of saddle time. Trying to set a business up AND keeping enough training going to keep fit AND keeping the wife and kids happy doesn't work.

dunbar42

by dunbar42

Going from say 25h/week down to 10h/week and simply cutting out Z1/Z2 rides would make overtaining possible if you compensated by doing all hard rides. Obviously we don't know if your friend's lifestyle was a contributing factor (lack of sleep, poor diet, stress etc.) But I really don't see you could overtrain on 4-6H a week if you're coming down from a significantly higher volume. Even if you spent all your time doing intervals. I don't think it's mentally possible to spend all of your 4-6H of riding per week doing hard intervals.

heliwasp

by heliwasp

Usually, the lower the volume, the more intense your workout should be. But that is just a rule of thumb. Even on low volume you'll need to properly structure your training and include recovery days to avoid overtraining. Have a look at Trainerroad as they offer low volume training plans.

borinomi

by borinomi

You are not a rider for Tour. Just enjoy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com