Track specific training

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jasjas

by jasjas

Hi, My 15yo daughter may get selected for a national track (indoor) comp in 12 weeks time (possibly because the area has so few accredited females) she is a reasonable regional rider on closed road circuits but could anyone give some pointers to how best to prep for this event?
it ll be over 3 days, an Omnium format, with i guess, the longest race being about 10 mins, her endurance is good, its her explosive power that is lacking, and she isnt sure when to start building this up or could she start now, focusing on much shorter efforts than she does with her club?
there is no track anywhere near us, so training is road or turbo/rollers.
thank you.

Lucas1234

by Lucas1234

Leg speed. Leg speed and some more leg speed. You don't really a ton of power to do well in those junior races, because of the 86inch gear restriction. I would work of some plyometrics, box jumps, downhill sprints, and hi rpm roller sessions.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

by 11.4

I'd offer a slightly different perspective. Junior track racing has become very fast and these kids are handling the speed -- if not winning to speak of -- in Pro-1-2 road races. The junior gear restrictions aren't that relevant in track -- an 86" is a race gear at a lot of tracks in the US, and trackies typically are warming up in a 77" to 81" gear, with warmups going to 30-35 mph. That juniors are being given an international omnium should tell you a lot.

The omnium is hard to specialize for -- it's a test of all-around ability in several specialized events. I'd say that she probably can't build sprint power that she doesn't already have, and the best for her would be to have the staying speed to stay in the field of the massed start events and to ride fast in the solo events. If I'm correct assuming she hasn't raced at this level before or raced international omniums before, in your situation I'd just get her into every fast crit or rapid closed circuit race you can. Put her in a higher age class so she's really pushed, or have her ride with junior men. Don't try for too much distance because that's not what the Omnium is about, but go for fast. She'll need bike handling skills, speed, and the endurance to do multiple high-effort shorter events in quick succession.

Since it sounds like she doesn't have any track experience, definitely get her to the track 2-3 days ahead of time to familiarize herself with the track and ride some training sessions with other kids her age. The experience on the track with some of her peers will help her a lot. Though it sounds corny, it'll also help to have her find a couple hundred YouTube's of Omnium events and she'll benefit from watching them a couple times each.

At the track camps there will be others without track experience, but they will all be fast and aggressive. She'll be on a high just going into a cafeteria for dinner with a bunch of them. She'll do great. It's a great experience and it brings out the best in juniors.

jasjas

by jasjas

Thanks guys, she has raced track before and against some of the girls who will be there but its few and far between! there will be a summer series on the trak so they ll be good to go to.
Speed does seem to be the thing she lacks more than any thing else.
Is it a good idea to start doing super hard short efforts so far out or work on more endurance based efforts for a month or so and then build to anaerobic stuff in the remaining 2 months?
We ll try and get to as many local races as possible but they tend to be quite long, much more TT in nature and very few riders, 2 or 3 after they ve been dropped by the boys.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Building on the above advice:-
* 15 year olds are 15... so training needs to be weighed accordingly. Wanting to win etc etc is great n all, and Nationals will be an awesome experience, but I have seen more than a couple of junior world champions who, later in life, want nothing to do with bikes. Keep it fun.
* A coach who is local, and experienced with junior track racing would be a real boon.
* As 11.4 said, the omnomnomium is a tricky event, jack of all trades, or master of just a couple? Take advantages of the strengths and mitigate the weaknesses.
* Track is clinical for the timed events, and tactical for the mass-starts. Watch a points race, some themes emerge, if a rider is well positioned after a sprint for points then it's an opening to take a lap. But that's a *lot* of effort to pay, but the reward is big etcetc.
* And again, echoing 11.4, every track is different. Speak to local riders if you can, work out the little inconsistencies, get your daughter to ride the boards prior and practice lines etc (without undue fatigue).

Did I mention to keep it fun?
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

jasjas

by jasjas

Well, she pretty much focused her training on speed drills and some light strength training as you guys suggested, she also did a few crits and open track meets too, during regional team training, she was the fastest in the team pursuit and TT, so looking ok.
One of the events was a series of track stands, which she also worked hard on and completed, then disaster, on the first day (of 3) was hit side on by a falling rider and suffered mild concussion and was told to retire....... all that work down the pan but happy it was nt more serious, 3 riders ended up in Hospital :(
shame as this is her last year to be able to do this competition and female juniors in the UK fall of a cliff, as the numbers arent there or the competitions.
Once again thankyou for the training advice.

by 11.4

It sounds like she still had a great experience and learned enough in preparation for the future. One can never predict an accident, but she should be happy that she was on a good progression until she fell. I'd tell her to come back next year and try again -- she's got talent and drive.

I'm curious. What was the event that was a series of track stands? Marymoor crawl? Or something else?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jasjas

by jasjas

a 1min track stand on the home straight, 4 boys and 4 girls from each region within a 10m section, ride to turn 3 and perform a 30sec track stand on lead into turn within a 5m section, then sprint 1.25 of a lap and 3rd riders time goes on score board, she was made up with her efforts but v dissapointed not to have been able to carry on.

its the first time its been included and they binned the scratch race to make room, not sure on that one, i d have binned the elimination, too many strong riders all trying to get to the front, none of the heats finished due to crashes and lack of ambulances!

i hope she ll carry on racing, the crash didnt bother her but there's lots of distractions for teenagers.