What's the coldest temp you'll train outside in?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Citizenfox

by Citizenfox

Last winter I successfully used the spin bikes at my gym to train. Mostly when there was no class, sometimes starting 30 minutes before a class and going right through. I'm finding training inside at home basically impossible, so I'm thinking of doing the same thing next winter, but trying to ride outside much more.

So what's your cold cutoff and favorite winter kit to make it bearable? I want to start buying stuff now so I'm ready!

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Generally coldest it gets here is -5 Celsius in the morning during winter. Has been down to -8 once.

I got some of these (http://voltheat.com/product/frostie-7v- ... ed-gloves/) this winter to make it a little more bearable.

Generally a full length merino layer, soft shell jacket, neck warmer, (which can cover the nose), beanie covering the ears, thermal bin tights, merino socks, Belgian booties (like a sock), layer of cling film, wind stopper booties over that. And the heated gloves.

Yeah, it take me about 10mins to get dressed :D But in those conditions I'll only head out about 2x per week, rest is on the erg.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I've ridden in temps as cold as the low 20's Fahrenheit and with wind chill far colder. If you are dressed properly the cold is not an impediment. What stops me is not the cold, but ice and snow on the road.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

Citizenfox

by Citizenfox

Tapeworm- those gloves look good. Bookmarked. What's cling film?

Fromtrektocolnago - first, I'm going from Trek to Colnago myself...more on that later. Second, agreed. When it snows I'm going to spin inside. But if I can go outside down to thirty or so I'll be good to go and be able to limit the spinning to a minimum. Went outside in 40 towards the end of this winter, when I bought my bike, but I didn't have all the trick kit.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

This winter I'll be buying Wolvhammer boots. The Lake boots I'm using don't work so well when the temperature drops below the mid 20's
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Cling film, glad wrap, types of a thin plastic food wrapping. Just gives a form fitting and windproof layer.

"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

I should also add I suffer from Raynauds, at the hint of cold I lose all sensation in fingers and toes, hence the slightly extreme measures.

jo.k

by jo.k

Last winter my coldest rides had temperatures around the 0F mark and I once had three hours with an average of 5F (-18 and -15 C). These are extremes, but both rides were bearable with insulated gore tex shoes with fleece ladden shoe covers, wool and alu foil inner soles and those chemical warmer pads beneath the toes ... I normally get relatively cold feet, so even the coldest of conditions can get manageable with the right tools (add some good quality wool socks as well).

After trying to get out relatively often in the coldest months 0C felt quite easy as spring approached ... (now, however, may have been the coldest in 36 years, and a winter of freezing did not prepare me for 5C and rain end of may).

kode54

by kode54

coldest i've ridden in this year has been around 28 F with wind chill factor of 22 F. my limit is actually about 30F. like others have said, ice and snow is really the culprit at those temps. i use aluminum foil under my footbed (trimmed and shaped to size) which helps keep the cold from the feet. wrap some excess up around toes. interesting using cling wrap on shoes, thx Tapeworm...i'll have to try that when its that cold out to see if it helps keep the wind out. i wear merino socks as well, so moisture build up shouldn't be too back.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

benzebub

by benzebub

coldest this winter was -2 for me, enough to get frost crystals in my beard :lol:
But I could be wrong

Rick

by Rick

I have headed out when I knew it was 28° F (-2° C) and while I was out it dipped down to about 25° F (-4° C), but that was definitely BELOW my limit. I was miserable when it dipped and headed home.
The Louis Garneau Lobster Supershield Gloves worked well at those temps though. Also use Pearl Izumi AmFib bib tights. and a belaclava.

nobuseri

by nobuseri

fromtrektocolnago wrote:I've ridden in temps as cold as the low 20's Fahrenheit and with wind chill far colder. If you are dressed properly the cold is not an impediment. What stops me is not the cold, but ice and snow on the road.

I probably fit this same bucket. Problem for me is finding cycling (not even aero?) clothing that fits properly. Tall rider at 78in. :thumbup:

I usually suffer and suck it up. Group rides make it more of a bearable experience; so, at those temps it's most likely not solo.

kode54 wrote:coldest i've ridden in this year has been around 28 F with wind chill factor of 22 F. my limit is actually about 30F. like others have said, ice and snow is really the culprit at those temps. i use aluminum foil under my footbed (trimmed and shaped to size) which helps keep the cold from the feet. wrap some excess up around toes. interesting using cling wrap on shoes, thx Tapeworm...i'll have to try that when its that cold out to see if it helps keep the wind out. i wear merino socks as well, so moisture build up shouldn't be too back.

I am taking notes. I will try these tips this coming off season. Thanks!
Cicli Barco XCr Road
Moots VaMoots
Parlee Z1
SuperX Hi-Mod Disc

Citizenfox

by Citizenfox

Shopping list:

Full merino base layer (Rapha's top has a nice integrated cap and gator)
Thermal bib tights
Winter socks and booties
Big ass thermal gloves

Now if my eyes would just stop tearing. If this can get me down into the low 30s feeling as good as I did in the low 40s last winter in basically layered summer stuff, I'll be happy.

urt

by urt

Did the festive500 in minus -12 to -18 this year. That was cold and slippery

And beatiful
works in the industry

Citizenfox

by Citizenfox

Looks mighty festive.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com