What's the coldest temp you'll train outside in?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

efeballi

by efeballi

My threshold is 0 C. Knowing the fact that standing water (on the road and in my bottles) would freeze is too much for me.
Then again, Istanbul has no more than 10 days that have daylight temps below zero, and almost all of these have snow with them so not a big concern...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SHUT UP LEGS
2015 Giant Propel Advanced
2015 Cannondale Supersix Evo
2013 KTM Strada mod. (totaled)
2011 Pinarello Dogma 60.1(loaner)
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

Politecnico di Milano Ingegneria Meccanica

drchull

by drchull

My threshold is the same 0C. Roads are essentially unrideable in the Canadian winter here anyway, though I have crazy friends who ride year round in Toronto. Time for trainer, velodrome or snowshoes below that.
I miss the year round bike commuting/training that Vancouver allowed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Base layer of wool, long sleeve jersey windbreaker, wool socks thermal boots , warm gloves with glove liners and you're all set to temperatures below 0 Celsius. I'll even add there's something nice about winter riding, and while I don't prefer it to warmer weather the group of riders out there is generally of a higher caliber and more apt to greet each other on the road. Season's do change for most of us, and to simply give up outdoor rides for several months a year is extreme in my view.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

Citizenfox

by Citizenfox

fromtrektocolnago wrote:Base layer of wool, long sleeve jersey windbreaker, wool socks thermal boots , warm gloves with glove liners and you're all set to temperatures below 0 Celsius. I'll even add there's something nice about winter riding, and while I don't prefer it to warmer weather the group of riders out there is generally of a higher caliber and more apt to greet each other on the road. Season's do change for most of us, and to simply give up outdoor rides for several months a year is extreme in my view.

Agree. Right now, given how much I travel during the week, I go out at 5:00 am when we're at the beach house on the weekends so I'm home by 7:00 when my wife and kids are getting up. It's so nice being on the road when it's quiet, even though it's the coldest, relatively speaking, and windiest part of the day. A couple times a month I'll do a group ride that leaves at 8:00 which is fun but different.

It will be great to pop out in the afternoon between calls during the winter and ride when your cooped up all the time. Actually think
I'm looking forward to it.

djwalker

by djwalker

I ride here all winter. We had a week last winter where it was between 5 and 7 degrees F (-15 to -14 degrees C) when I rode for the whole week. More typical was temperatures between 15 and 25 F when I rode in January and February. We don't get a lot of snow here so the roads are generally clear. I do have studded tires that I use.

djm

by djm

I find that it is not so much about temperature as it is about humidity and wind chill.

Some times -20 Celsius is not problematic, on other occasions -5 and a gale force wind can make it unbearable.

Generally I find temperatures just around freezing combined with slush/rain/hail or whatever you may have falling out of the sky to be the absolutely worst conditions to ride in. I'd take -15 C and sun ANY day over 0 and rain :-)

Citizenfox

by Citizenfox

djm wrote:Generally I find temperatures just around freezing combined with slush/rain/hail or whatever you may have falling out of the sky to be the absolutely worst conditions to ride in. I'd take -15 C and sun ANY day over 0 and rain :-)

Agree - I plan on being tougher about he cold but still wimpy about rain. Wind is a given where I ride.

djm

by djm

There is a point where tough becomes stupid, too. Last year I had a ride where I got home dizzy, shaking uncontrollably, with a major headache and felt generally a little confused. I spent 40 minutes in the shower and started with what would normally be freezing cold water (it just felt damn hot!). I spent the rest of the day snuggling my radiator. I was "surprised" (underdressed!) by the bad weather and had a mechanical that forced me to stop for a while.

It might have been mighty tough, but it was even more stupid. I plan on having no such rides in the future ;-)

Citizenfox

by Citizenfox

Good point. Probably stick to doing laps of my "inside the development" loop, which. Is actually pretty hard and hilly but never more than like 2 miles from my house

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

djm wrote:There is a point where tough becomes stupid, too. Last year I had a ride where I got home dizzy, shaking uncontrollably, with a major headache and felt generally a little confused. I spent 40 minutes in the shower and started with what would normally be freezing cold water (it just felt damn hot!). I spent the rest of the day snuggling my radiator. I was "surprised" (underdressed!) by the bad weather and had a mechanical that forced me to stop for a while.

It might have been mighty tough, but it was even more stupid. I plan on having no such rides in the future ;-)

That's why its important to dress appropriately. Nobody should ride and risk hypothermia. You also need to know and listen to your own body and know when not to push it.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

djm

by djm

Absolutely..

I tend to produce A LOT of heat though and ride several thousand kilometres in winter conditions each season, but that ride was an extreme. Anyway it turned out to be a nice experience - experiencing how cold I could get, yet function, somewhat ;-)

I've since purchased battery driven heat socks which help a lot (and allow me to use regular road shoes in the coldest of conditions :thumbup: ) and always carry a few pouches of chemical hand- or foot warmers I can place near cold body parts.
Last edited by djm on Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wobbly

by wobbly

nobuseri wrote:
fromtrektocolnago wrote:I've ridden in temps as cold as the low 20's Fahrenheit and with wind chill far colder. If you are dressed properly the cold is not an impediment. What stops me is not the cold, but ice and snow on the road.

I probably fit this same bucket. Problem for me is finding cycling (not even aero?) clothing that fits properly. Tall rider at 78in. :thumbup:

I usually suffer and suck it up. Group rides make it more of a bearable experience; so, at those temps it's most likely not solo.

kode54 wrote:coldest i've ridden in this year has been around 28 F with wind chill factor of 22 F. my limit is actually about 30F. like others have said, ice and snow is really the culprit at those temps. i use aluminum foil under my footbed (trimmed and shaped to size) which helps keep the cold from the feet. wrap some excess up around toes. interesting using cling wrap on shoes, thx Tapeworm...i'll have to try that when its that cold out to see if it helps keep the wind out. i wear merino socks as well, so moisture build up shouldn't be too back.

I am taking notes. I will try these tips this coming off season. Thanks!

@nobuseri
I have a similar issue - which winter jersey and bibtights do you use ?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Next winter i will be getting warmer gloves and using northwave artic boots. Ill use spiked tyres to deal with the ice. So far my base layer, short sleeve top, roubaix top and then my waterproof have kept me warm last winter. Defeet wollie boolie socks are great except on wet days.

Tom14

by Tom14

I've ridden with -18 Celsius when I used to be a bike messenger.

That wasn't funny anymore. Normally I wouldn't train with temperatures below -5. But only with a little bit of sun.

drider85

by drider85

Now I am well out of winter I feel okay talking about winter riding.

I will ride in much lower temperatures then I will train in. I will ride around and enjoy being outside in 14F/-10C. The purpose of that ride is more to move around and get out of the house. Depending on how desperate I can lower my standards of what warm enough. I find much variation in speed will cause me to sweat and then subsequently freeze. Closer to 20F I find that I can preform some sort of workout and last outside for greater then a hour.

For gear a wind proof base layers, heavy jersey and a wind shell. Pick your favorite warm boot and side up enough for thick sock and or heat packets. ~2 sizes up. For gloves I use a lobster style for the days that fall in "training temps" and below that I go with the bar mits on the MTB.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com