What's the coldest temp you'll train outside in?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

zev

by zev

Fat bikes are key, but you need to be prepared do deal with almost anything: Spare pump, down jacket, spare chain links etc or you can get in BIG trouble

Vermu

by Vermu

Below -10c is my limit. Just commuting after that. Wind starts to really burn my cheeks and dressing balaclava is a bit meh imo.
Besides outside commuting I think winter is perfect for some indoor training. When spring comes (now it has!) the excitement will peak - and motivation to ride is excelent.

p.s had my valve core blown out of the tyre (presta) in -15 degress, after that I kinda decided to adventure in some other training methods.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

liketoride

by liketoride

you guys are all real Men, coldest here in Ca i will go out is high 30'sF.

caballero

by caballero

During winter Here in Osaka, it drops to maybe minus 1or 2c in the early morning. That's cold enough for me, can't imagine anything colder than that !

dmulligan

by dmulligan

Just like anything, you make best of the environment you have. I ride outside in much colder than 0c/32f but when it gets icy I still commute in the cold but I train indoors.
Alas I find it much easier to get a targeted workout on the trainer. I still hate the f*!@ing trainer and being indoors but it's good for me. Training indoors has it's downsides too. It leaves me unadapted to the psychological effects of the wind. One spring I was up against a hellacious head wind, I stopped for a garment adjustment, and noticed the air was perfectly still. There was no headwind, it was just the sound of me actually moving through the air! The ride felt much easier after that.

Sent from my Oneplus One using Tapatalk

AW84

by AW84

I'll usually ride down into the teens F on the road bike, as long as the winds aren't too strong and the roads are clear. I have, in the past, driven to scout roads after a snow/ice storm just so I can cure the cabin fever.

As others have said, it's difficult to do any real training (ie intervals) in that kind of temperature - primarily due to the mental aspect of it all and the fact that you're sucking really cold air into your lungs when you're going all-out. Typically, when the temperatures reach my knee and arm warmer crossover (about 42-45 degrees) I'll start to put the hammer down again and do some intervals.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

AW84 wrote:I'll usually ride down into the teens F on the road bike, as long as the winds aren't too strong and the roads are clear. I have, in the past, driven to scout roads after a snow/ice storm just so I can cure the cabin fever.

As others have said, it's difficult to do any real training (ie intervals) in that kind of temperature - primarily due to the mental aspect of it all and the fact that you're sucking really cold air into your lungs when you're going all-out. Typically, when the temperatures reach my knee and arm warmer crossover (about 42-45 degrees) I'll start to put the hammer down again and do some intervals.

+1. I've also scouted the roads just so I could ride outside. I can't handle riding on the trainer so I don't do indoor trainers at all. I'm OK with spinning classes although I haven't done one in five plus years.

I can ride down to 20 degree F. When it's really cold I have issues with my vision becoming blurry. I don't know if this has anything to do with my contact lenses or just the eyeballs getting too cold.

I can do three hours in the cold no problem as long as I keep my body fueled and face/fingers/toes warm.