What's the coldest temp you'll train outside in?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

PSM

by PSM

The coldest I've commuted in was -23°c. I had 15 km one way. I realized pretty soon that i had forgotten to check the thermometer that morning...

It was less cold when I went home in the evening. Fortunately. (But still like -12°c).

jimborello

by jimborello

Damn guys you are crazy, here in my city in Mexico we are spoiled, we consider 5 degrees Celsius almost too cold to ride, only the bravest ride in that weather ja. For what I read you would be wearing a summer jersey in that weather =)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dmulligan

by dmulligan

jimborello wrote:Damn guys you are crazy, here in my city in Mexico we are spoiled, we consider 5 degrees Celsius almost too cold to ride, only the bravest ride in that weather ja. For what I read you would be wearing a summer jersey in that weather =)

That is only true in the spring. In autumn 5c feels cold to us too, but after a long cold winter 5c is literally shirt sleeve jersey weather of it's sunny and not too windy.

Sent from my Oneplus One using Tapatalk
Last edited by dmulligan on Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

calvin

by calvin

-15 C°
FXKalvis15 code at @montonsports

robrud

by robrud

Below 10°C feels too cold for high intensity training since intense training requires some intense breathing. Down to -20 °C is fine for LSD in Sweden.

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

If my softshell jacket is not enough, I am not riding. Which is around, 5 degree Celsius

mavic1010

by mavic1010

I've definitely gotten soft here in cali. Anything below 40 and i just stay inside.

Marin

by Marin

Not really training but more a social ride, and it was -6°C this morning, did 75k with the group. Short+longsleeve merino shirts under the Gabba 2 was enough though.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

nismosr wrote:15F and the 40 mile ride was cut to 17 miles when I got back home .. my water bottle was frozen solid!

yea that's too much.

for me there becomes a point where it's not hardman riding anymore, but just plain stupidity. I'd trainer for 4 hours any day than to be outside sub 32F for hours.

jmaccyd

by jmaccyd

I was watching biathlon and it seems -20 degrees C is a show stopper for them.

dmulligan

by dmulligan

nathanong87 wrote:for me there becomes a point where it's not hardman riding anymore, but just plain stupidity. I'd trainer for 4 hours any day than to be outside sub 32F for hours.

0c is not that cold. You need to apply rule #5.

dmulligan

by dmulligan

jmaccyd wrote:I was watching biathlon and it seems -20 degrees C is a show stopper for them.

Trigger fingers become a problem. They don't seem to want to put pogeys on their rifles.

Oswald

by Oswald

I did a 3hr endurance ride today. It was around 3°C. It was actually quite pleasant because there was no wind and it was dry. Until I cracked a tooth trying to chew on an almost frozen Powerbar :? Going to the dentist tomorrow...

zev

by zev

-13F Monday morning fat biking!

velomane

by velomane

I have nothing but admiration for you guys going out in anything sub -10C. I remember flatting once when it was five below, and that convinced me to stay on the trainer until the warmer weather comes around.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com