Your favorite workouts to improve sprinting?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

drchull

by drchull

Thanks, pretty much what I new about it. Searched the usual sports med studies a while back. NSAIDS actually tend to make worse. Have actually won races on legs I could barely walk on because of DOMS, it really is more capsular than muscle body and tends to warm up and do well in a very limited ROM sport like ours.

Thanks again for the responses, probably no need for a new thread as we can probably just end my little side track here.

mad_racr

by mad_racr

HOLY COW!! I haven't logged into my account here in ages, let alone really wandered around much anymore. However, I'm getting back on the bike more with focus and thought I'd take a wander around the training chats.

11.4 - wow, thank you for bringing such a clear and interesting point of view. Word-sy is fine!! Tapeworm and KWalker always post great stuff. That final description of the breakdown of a sprint via muscles firing was crazy interesting. Seriously, it's rattling around in my head like - yes! Makes perfect sense. Plus, I always was questioned for my time in the weight room, and my enjoyment of Romanian Deadlift, Split sqats... Yet reading that sprint description one done correctly makes perfect sense and it makes sense to me that I had a strong acceleration and always had to work on developing that next 10-15 sec's where apparently I needed to up my quad engagement.

11.4 - thank you for the contribution! I'm working on getting my ass back into race shape, and really re-learning better training activities. I know now at 38 that I won't be going pro-tour or USA Crit series - but I'd like to get fit enough to kick some ass in Masters races here in the Midwest and those are usually short and fast. Plus - we crash people and the weight room is a great way to build a better body for life's little tumbles. Thank you everyone!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drchull

by drchull

Ha ha that sounds like my time in Masters, short fast and crashy.

mvogt46

by mvogt46

There is a lot of great information 11.4 gives here. I know it's track and it's a little different to road, but I've ridden on the track a few times while Shane Perkins from Aus has been riding (his dad used to run training sessions I took part in a few years ago and occasionally Shane would be finishing a workout while we were warming up). The amount of strength and power that guy has to push big gears is amazing, and more to the point it's amazing how has converted that strength and power from the gym etc to the bike. We would do seated jumps in a 96" gear from an almost standstill, I thought the guy was going to snap his frame.....

Also just as information, he did race a local criterium once that I was in which at the time was a local B grade race (the club made him promise not to contest the bunch sprint). There was a break up the road with about 4 riders in it, he thought that they would take all the places but there was one place left in the bunch sprint. So after riding in the bunch all race (which went for an hour), which at times looked like he was hurting, we enter the final 200m around the last bend. He didn't even get out of the saddle and smoked everyone by at least 20m. Guy is an animal, in a good way!