Setting up Garmin Edge 500 & TrainingPeaks for sprints

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

OhPinchy

by OhPinchy

I’ve been focusing on building my fitness to handle the various surges throughout a race/criterium and have made reasonable progress. I now need to focus on improving my sprinting, particularly my ability to sprint at the end of a hard race.

Out on the bike, I’d like to have a page setup for sprinting on my Garmin Edge 500. Advice I’ve been given is to not look at the computer during sprinting to ensure I fully focus on pedalling speed and technique (and obvious safety consideration). So I’d like to setup a data fields page that gives me some indication of how I’ve done in the sprint just completed. Max Power - Lap is an obvious one, and I guess I could use Average Power - Lap to tell me how I did for the sprint overall, but issue with that is I don’t want to hit the lap button until it’s safe to do so, so that’ll drag the average down. Is it possible to setup a Power 10-seconds, Power 20-seconds field?

Similarly with Cadence, would be good to find what cadence I’m peaking at over a few seconds, not just max, which can be misleading. I can hit 1400w when fresh but am only managing 1150w at the end of a race and at 90kg I’m trying to improve that, particularly for uphill sprints. Likewise, max cadence can be quite high, but I’ve no idea how long I’m holding it for, so would be good to clearly see what I’ve done for the target 10, 15, or 20 second sprint.

I use Training Peaks online. Is it possible to filter a ride file to show how many times I went over 1000w for 10secs? I have a WKO+ 3.0 license I haven’t used for a few years, I could try reinstall that or Golden Cheetah (or something else) if that’s required for that searchable/filter functionality. I find the zooming in on a chart a bit clunky in the online Training Peaks (it seems to zoom when I select a segment, whereas sometimes I just want it to select that piece and tell me the data for it) so manually walking through the file to find the peaks is bit tedious. Plus, I’d like to track how many >400w surges I did in the race so that I can get a feel for how many matches I burnt before the sprint.

Thanks for any pointers.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

The fields visible on your garmin are what you got to work with. Not really ideal for what you're after. Use golden cheetah or wko+ to analyze your data post workout if you want to see those details.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DanW

by DanW

If you are doing this outside then the easiest way is to do sprint repeats on the same section of road and then just ride the section road once at a normal pace and press lap at the start and end of the sprint section. Next time you hit the same section at speed the Garmin can auto-lap and you can read off the last lap average power, average cadence or whatever info you want. The other option is to do these indoors and create a "workout" on the Garmin unit itself with the time structure you want. Either way I'd prefer to just get the riding done at the time and analyze at home.