Strength Training

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Dombi

by Dombi

Hey

I´m from Germany and a huge fan of the forum.

I´m a road cyclist and i want to introduce some Strength/Powerlifting Training to get stronger and become a better sprinter. I´m a sprinter like Mark Cavendish or Andre Greipel.

I´m riding 5-6 days a week. Each ride is 2-5 hours long. Sometimes some short intensive(sprinting) rides. I want to train 3-4 days in the gym.

You know Alex Viada? He does a bit what i want.

What Strength Program could you recommend?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

In short, not much.

If you already have a bit of a "natural kick" then you'd be far better off developing the aerobic engine that allows you get in a position to use it.

General weight training, squats, deadlift, maybe some single leg work (split squats, lunges etc) may possibly help, and is good for general health. I wouldn't recommend anymore than 2 days a week in the gym.

I have seen many a "sprinter" who gets dropped after the first attack or hill and their awesome sprint never sees the light of day. If your w/kg for 60mins is north of 5 then maybe some time really working the sprint and anaerobic system might pay off in a race, otherwise keep working the aerobic system. We don't get to see it much, but occasionally in the one-day classics or a certain TT we get to see that the road sprinters have MASSIVE engines... as well as a handy kick.

This is all general of course. Your background, training history and race goals would all effect how you go about things.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

Dombi

by Dombi

Tapeworm wrote:In short, not much.

If you already have a bit of a "natural kick" then you'd be far better off developing the aerobic engine that allows you get in a position to use it.

General weight training, squats, deadlift, maybe some single leg work (split squats, lunges etc) may possibly help, and is good for general health. I wouldn't recommend anymore than 2 days a week in the gym.

I have seen many a "sprinter" who gets dropped after the first attack or hill and their awesome sprint never sees the light of day. If your w/kg for 60mins is north of 5 then maybe some time really working the sprint and anaerobic system might pay off in a race, otherwise keep working the aerobic system. We don't get to see it much, but occasionally in the one-day classics or a certain TT we get to see that the road sprinters have MASSIVE engines... as well as a handy kick.

This is all general of course. Your background, training history and race goals would all effect how you go about things.

Thanks a lot

I´ve got a tip from a track sprinter coach and he´d said i should follow Starting Strength or Bill Starr´s 5x5. He also said that i should do some Plyos. What do you think about it?

What could i do to improving my sprints? Which gear should i ride 53/13-14 or 11? Do you know what my favorite Cyclist Cav do?

I´m lifting for about 1 year and i cycle for a long time. Up to know i didn´t have some races and my priority was more lifting than cycling but i change the things and i want to have some races in the near future.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

First up, disassociate any notion of track sprinters. They are a completely different beast, and bear no relationship in their training to a road sprinters. I repeat, totally and utterly ignore anything a track sprinter does in training. (Unless you want to be one. Which means yeah, 2-5 gym sessions per week, 4-5 track sessions and *maybe* the odd easy roll outside. No hill climbing for you, no long endurance rides.)

As for training, do you know what your current power numbers are like for 5, 10, 20, 30 seconds and 1,2,3,5,10,20,60min durations is like?

Generally speaking most sprinters do not that much in the way of sprinting specific work, maybe some accelerations past the moto, or from lead-out trains, but this is more timing than development of fast twitch (Type II) muscle fibres, per se.

Basically you're a sprinter or you're not. This is not to be confused with hard short efforts which are a feature of things like crits. Again, a great kick means nothing unless you get to the finish to use it.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."

Rick

by Rick

I am certainly no expert, but I can vouch for the idea that strength training really doesn't transfer to cycling much at all. I've tried it many years, and the illusion that it should work is strong....but it never has for me.

Dombi

by Dombi

Tapeworm wrote:First up, disassociate any notion of track sprinters. They are a completely different beast, and bear no relationship in their training to a road sprinters. I repeat, totally and utterly ignore anything a track sprinter does in training. (Unless you want to be one. Which means yeah, 2-5 gym sessions per week, 4-5 track sessions and *maybe* the odd easy roll outside. No hill climbing for you, no long endurance rides.)

As for training, do you know what your current power numbers are like for 5, 10, 20, 30 seconds and 1,2,3,5,10,20,60min durations is like?

Generally speaking most sprinters do not that much in the way of sprinting specific work, maybe some accelerations past the moto, or from lead-out trains, but this is more timing than development of fast twitch (Type II) muscle fibres, per se.

Basically you're a sprinter or you're not. This is not to be confused with hard short efforts which are a feature of things like crits. Again, a great kick means nothing unless you get to the finish to use it.

Ok

I don´t want to be a track sprinter. He also was an assistance coach for Roadies.

Here some numbers at a good time:
5s-20,51
30s-10,70
1min-10,01
5min-6,36
20min-6,1
60min-5,88

Do you know another good Sprint Bike except the Venge or have experiences with one? I want to buy a new Bike for the upcoming season.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Are you saying that you can do 6.1w/kg for 20min? Or 5.88 w/kg for 60? If so, you won't have to worry about paying for your next bike.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

^ what LeDuke said. If those are valid power number and you weigh less than 80kgs or so then start looking for a pro contract.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

If he weighs 80kg and can go at 6.1kg for 20min, he will be eating many a cobbled Classics rider for lunch.

Joso

by Joso

1) If those numbers are real you could be racing in a pro team.
2) Strength training does "transfer" to cycling as it improves economy and aerobic performance. It is not limited to sprinters. If you want to train properly - and judging by those numbers you might - You should consider hiring a coach to plan a proper macrocycle.

Dombi

by Dombi

A friend managed my numbers. He´s a semi pro Triathlete.
I ride in a Team. It´s a hobbie Team here in my village. Since i was a child i´m called Jan Ulrich.

I don´t have an training routine for cyling or something like that. I only explore. My problem is that i love lifting too much and i can´t recover very often. So now i want a Strength Program that i can do in combination with cycling.

So could you recommend a Bike? I thought on the LaPierre Aircode 500, Giant Propel, Canyon ultimate cf/aeroad cf...What do you think about it? Or any other good recommendations? I don`t only ride Specialized but also another Bikes.
I don´t like my venge and Tarmac anymore.

boysa

by boysa

I'm thinking your friend is mathematically challenged.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Re: the bike. Look to the Road section. Really, there's no such thing as a "sprinters" bike (for the road). You want the bike that fits the best and allows to your sprint power to be sufficiently expressed. Aero considerations are worth looking at too.

I get the feeling your looking for answers you've already decided on for all matters.

Dombi

by Dombi

For the Bike i´m looking into the Aero section. But i haven´t any experiences with one except the venge. The problem is in my village is only one real Bike Shop and
that´s Specialized.

No i haven´t all answers. I want to switch my priorities and i don´t know how i could combine the two things.

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

Don't care about the bike. By yourself a powermeter if those numbers are real, or if you really have ambitions, you'll see if those estimated numbers are true.
Race and get yourself hired by a team with contract bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com