Pushing hard and nose/lips go numb.

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

shlammed

by shlammed

Does anyone else have the "problem" of their nose and lips going numb when your giving it your absolute maximum effort?

Im not sure if it is normal or not... but it happens occasionally to me when im totally gassed but still giving it all I've got.

Edit: it goes away very fast once i catch my breath...
M

chipomarc

by chipomarc

Sounds like what I get whenever I use LH, hCG, Gonadotrophinsas a masking agent for anabolic steroids. Don't worry about it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mr4fox

by mr4fox

I think Central cyanosis can effect the lips nose and tongue. It's normally due to some sort of pathology. And eventually tye area turns blue. While I doubt you have central cyanosis it may just be that your blood oxygen saturation drops enough that you start to feel it in these same areas when your going flat out. I don't know much about it though. It's been a looong time since I studied pathology like that. I'm just assuming nose lips and tongue are first area effected when blood O2 saturation falls. Thus is just a hypothesis. I have no idea what happens to O2 saturation under an all out sprint. I'm not a medical doctor. If you're concerned about it or if it gets worse then you should probably talk to one.

shlammed

by shlammed

I haven't had this problem really since the few early rides this year.

I must have just been pushing beyond my ability to process the oxygen as you mentioned MRfox.

I've been putting in a lot more time recently than I used to, so im sure that im a bit more fit now as a byproduct and that certainly doesn't hurt.

slcvgn

by slcvgn

Every time i do TT, the tip of my nose gets numb. i always assumed that my body was sending blood to my legs and neglecting my extremeties.
Street by street, block by block.

mr4fox

by mr4fox

slcvgn wrote:Every time i do TT, the tip of my nose gets numb. i always assumed that my body was sending blood to my legs and neglecting my extremeties.

Sure it's not just because your riding so fast? :wink:

by 11.4

Wrong forum. You're talking about when you're making out with your GF.

by 11.4

Seriously, it's not a problem with your lips or nose. it's a problem with blood deprivation in your brain, probably in the areas that control sensation in the lips and nose. You might be having a spasmodic contraction of a blood vessel in that area, brought on by your effort. That would be very transient but create such a problem. It would be happenstance that it causes this particular problem. Some people get retinal migraines, a painless version of this, that cause vision to start blanking out; others start stumbling with their speech. Just in case you have anything defective in your skull, you should think about it in this context and talk to a neurologist. Odds are that an MRI won't show anything and it won't be possible to attribute this to anything, but if you do have a partial blockage or other problem, you want to know.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com