Rollers with resistance under under $600!

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

tvelez83

by tvelez83

I have been looking for a set of rollers with resistance. I already have a Lemond Revolution for hard intervals, so this will be mostly use for active recovery, warm up, but i want some resistance as well.

I have been looking at the Kreitler aluminum 2.5 or 3.0. Does anyone have experience with them?

Any other set i should consider?

Any recommendations under $600 are welcome.

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sanrensho

by sanrensho

I would look at Sportscrafters Overdrive Pro (progressive resistance drum). I have the Planet X Resist rollers (same rollers but with magnetic resistance) and am satisfied for my moderate resistance needs, but stronger riders would need more resistance such as the Overdrive Pro would provide.

Kreitler 3.0 had insufficient resistance for anything but very easy spinning. Note that I am a lightweight though at 125 lb.

For $600 you could also track down a used set of E-Motion rollers (haven't used them personally).

whydobearsxplod

by whydobearsxplod

Here's another vote for sportcrafters overdrive. They are perfect. They disappear beneath you, are quiet, and have great resistance. I do all my indoor training on them: recovery spins to vo2.

Spring for the high inertia drum if you want to spend more. I find it makes them feel even more natural and make it a bit easier to stand- great for longer training sessions.

whydobearsxplod

by whydobearsxplod

I should mention, Pete and the folks at sportcrafters seem very passionate about their products and provide great customer service.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

I got some Elite Arion Digital rollers for right about your budget. They provide good resistance up to about 600-700 watts. The electronic brake coming on/off isn't very progressive but it's not bad either. It's also much more entertaining than a turbo.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

I have had the SC overdrive pro for about a week and am very happy. Currently have the drum turned over to disable the resistance as I become used to the technique required
BB

Coffee & carbon

natefontaine

by natefontaine

Minoura MOZ Rollers (formerly Action Mag) with the resistance unit is around $300. The resistance unit allows really high wattage, >800w

Rick

by Rick

For the cheap weenies out there: I bought the Nashbar aluminum rollers and then mounted a bar with some neodymium magnets behind the rear roller. It added enough resistance that I can't spin it for long, but I think it tops out at about 350 Watts. Maybe I will add more magnets some time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mad_racr

by mad_racr

I have the Kreitler 2.25's and LOVE them. I've had them for years - way before all the fancier rollers that are out now. I rode for years on a trainer and finally got to a point where I simply couldn't do it anymore. Rollers have been a great addition, especially the smaller diameter rollers. I can ride the rollers for up to 3 hrs doing a workout with ease and the 'road feel' to me is very road comparable. There's a fair bit of resistance even without anything added on. Just my 2 cents...