Power - live feed

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

Don't know if it's possible, but is there a way to show live power numbers from a powermeter on a laptop/tablet? For instance, during a time trial, would it be possible for the DS in the car behind to have a live feed of the numbers the athlete is putting out?
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zirxo

by zirxo

If I remember correctly, SRM had something like that for live feeding numbers to the viewers during Tour de France a couple of years ago.

53x12

by 53x12

Does Garmin LiveTrack show watts for those viewing the link? I know it shows distance, time, speed...etc. Not sure if it does watts.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Dalai

by Dalai

zirxo wrote:If I remember correctly, SRM had something like that for live feeding numbers to the viewers during Tour de France a couple of years ago.

At least from back in 2010. Interesting from the clip it appears they were unsing wired SRMs to a sending unit under the saddle...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-qZbErhzqo

mattr

by mattr

53x12 wrote:Does Garmin LiveTrack show watts for those viewing the link? I know it shows distance, time, speed...etc. Not sure if it does watts.
Isn't the livetrack quite laggy? Not so much instantaneous as 30 seconds ago.......

ITTY

by ITTY

Certainly. USB Dongle for transmission, not sure about software. The first thing that comes to mind is Zwift, since I use that in combination with my garmin all the time, but that probably wouldn't be ideal for the DS in follow car application. I'm sure there is some other software out there that can take the PM data and display it. If there isn't, I'm sure it'd be pretty easy to make.
Moloko Plus 6.24 kg

"We haven't located us yet"

DanW

by DanW

Well it is really easy to get PM and other data through a Garmin head unit and ANT+ dongle in to Trainerroad so I don't see why it isn't doable even on a tiny budget. I guess the transmission distance is the only issue but there must be ways and means around this as suggested for the SRM examples above

CulBaire

by CulBaire

An ANT+ Dongle would be the obvious way, however I am not sure what the range would be on the transmitting devices as my Garmin wouldn't pick up the feed from my SRM when it was in my back pocket - it can however pick up data from my Powertap 3 or 4 meters away :?:

Tinea Pedis had his Garmin feed setup to Garmin's live track during the 2015 Australian Road Nationals, and published the link online - however I am not sure how "real time" this would be, and don't remember what data it provided.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jekyll man

by jekyll man

You can certainly use a usb dongle and Golden Cheetah in "trainer mode" to show a live feed to a laptop.
As others have said, the problem likely occurs when trying to do it from distance.

Don't know whether any of the bluetooth devices would enable greater distances to be transmitted, or if you could use a transmitter to send from the bike to a pc somewhere on a carrier signal
Official cafe stop tester