For those that don't have a power meter

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

53x12

by 53x12

Those of you that don't train with a pm, may I ask why? Is it that you don't believe it will help? Do you think they are too expensive (lots of affordable options available now)? Some other reason. Just curious to hear why some don't train with power.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

kode54

by kode54

too much money and unnecessary for me. had one at one point, but didn't seem to help me as much as riding with younger riders in the group. i wear a powerTap HR that calculates power...but i mainly wear it to make sure i don't over do it. <edit: spell error>
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

53x12

by 53x12

kode54, when you say it is unnecessary for you, what do you mean by that?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

kode54

by kode54

too old and not racing. just riding and enjoying...and trying not to get dropped.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

ITTY

by ITTY

I know that for me, it was 1)too expensive and 2)not necessary until recently. I feel like in order to really get the most out of the power meter, you also have to train properly and with discipline. Before I got a coach, my training wasn't very disciplined.

Now I have 2 power meters and I feel that they are very useful for tracking and analyzing fitness, but probably aren't required for anything but the highest levels of racing.
Moloko Plus 6.24 kg

"We haven't located us yet"

Marin

by Marin

I bought another bike instead. If and when I do intervals, I can do them by percieved exertion. I don't race a lot either.

Pieter

by Pieter

ITTY wrote:I know that for me, it was 1)too expensive and 2)not necessary until recently. I feel like in order to really get the most out of the power meter, you also have to train properly and with discipline. Before I got a coach, my training wasn't very disciplined.

Now I have 2 power meters and I feel that they are very useful for tracking and analyzing fitness, but probably aren't required for anything but the highest levels of racing.

This. First I just have to ride a lot more, then maybe. I find heart rate is good enough for base training and intervals over 4 min. I do want one though, for the inner number nerd.

mattr

by mattr

53x12 wrote:Those of you that don't train with a pm, may I ask why? Is it that you don't believe it will help? Do you think they are too expensive (lots of affordable options available now)? Some other reason. Just curious to hear why some don't train with power.
I think your definition of affordable might differ to many others. Mine included.

kode54

by kode54

Pieter wrote:
ITTY wrote:I know that for me, it was 1)too expensive and 2)not necessary until recently. I feel like in order to really get the most out of the power meter, you also have to train properly and with discipline. Before I got a coach, my training wasn't very disciplined.

This. First I just have to ride a lot more, then maybe. I find heart rate is good enough for base training and intervals over 4 min. I do want one though, for the inner number nerd.

i find that the calculated HR method i get from the PowerCAL works well enough not to spend the big bucks on a power meter. i have to wear a HR strap anyway, so the PowerCAL is the perfect choice for me. i did have a Quarq Cinq before but probably didn't utilize it properly. i even bought the book, training with power, but at that point...i wasn't going out enough to make a difference. i have been riding more in the past few years and logged over 5,000 miles in 2014, so that alone is better for me, besides carrying the extra weight of a meter.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

roadieboy

by roadieboy

Power meters and HR monitors make bike riding feel too much like work. I ride and race for fun, and don't want to worry about 'hitting my target heart rate' or ftp or whatever... And somehow I manage to be fast without all those training tools.

JasperGr

by JasperGr

My reason is that it's too expensive because I don't like the Stage pm. I do like the quarq.. I'm also not sure if I have the discipline to make a good trainingsschedule. Bit scared of the complex of the pm/training.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I'm in an interesting situation. The problem I have is that Stages, Pioneer and any other crank arm based system won't work on my road bike (Madone) due to the Shimano brake. I could have used the Bontrager brake, but I prefer the stopping power of the Shimano. I can't justify the cost of the SRM or Quarq.

I could go with the Vectors or another pedal based PM, but I would also have to switch the pedals on my bike to Look compatible cleats (I currently use Shimano pedals, although the situation would be the same with Speedplays).

My only remaining option is a Powertap, which would be good, because I can take the opportunity to rebuild and strengthen my 303, and maybe get it to stop flexing as much as it does with the current Zipp hubs. Then again, I get back to the prior situation: what do I do about my TT bike? What about my mountain bike or CX bike?

For that reason, I go with the Powercal. It might not be the most accurate power measuring device, but at the same time, I can also take the same unit from one bike to the other, and have it measure power across all platforms. Admittedly, it isn't the greatest power measuring device. There are times where I clock 2400W, which is obviously a misread, but at the same time, it gives me ballpark numbers, which I can use to determine what I'm actually doing.

liam7020

by liam7020

Reading through the threads on WW tonight looks like we're gonna need a power meter, a disc brake compatible bike and probably a coach to get anywhere in this game.... Now what's that smell....
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

Citizenfox

by Citizenfox

Interesting topic.

Indoors I like using a power meter on the trainer. I read all the books etc.. I did my first 3 months getting back into biking on a spin bike and did it all with watts.

That said, I'm tied to lots of devices all the time. I remember, I'm old enough, when heart rate monitors hit the scene. Eventually they showed if you used one long enough you got so good at feeling where you were, you pretty much didn't need it. There's so many other more valuable performance based actions I can take - actually working out on biz trips, maintaining optimal weight even now, core stuff etc... Seems to me close adherence to power zones would come after all that.

I always think of the old Coltrane quote that in order to be a master you need to memorize all your scales and modes etc...backwards and forwards, then forget them and play. When I ride outside I naturally go very hard, and since I don't have time for "easy", I'm the classic "time crunched cyclist", I haven't found myself anxious to ride with a meter or Strava.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

I'd say an impediment to most people is understanding how to even use power data. You can look at a plot of heart rate vs time and see "oh, I could have gone a little harder here" or use the number on your garmin to set training zones. Look at a graph of power vs time and it just looks like a noisy squiggle. The same goes for unaveraged power readings on your garmin. Reading a 200 page WKO manual or doing regimented interval sessions instead of just long hard rides is not for everybody.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com