Increase my sustainable power output in 1 track session a we

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

iamalex

by iamalex

I enjoy the hills and with the folks I ride with I'm comparatively good. However, when they ramp up the pace between the hills I sometimes have to dig deep to keep pace. I'm looking to increase my sustainable power to make me a better rounded rider...

Spring/summer the local velodrome runs Tuesday night open road bike sessions which is going to give me a good two hour training window. Should I just sit in heart rate zone-3 for the duration or should I throw in some intervals of some sort?

I don't race, this is purely for the fun of cycling. Will carry on doing hill-work, commuting, general riding as well.

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pitbull

by pitbull

I'd ride mainly below 75 percent of your max heartrate and throw in some 10/20 min intervals with 5/10 min easy pedaling in between. Do them as hard and consistent as you can. If you want to do something different warm up for 20 mins and then do a 1 hour Interval at your FTP. Hope i helped you
Greetings from germany

iamalex

by iamalex

Hello Pitbull, thanks for the quick reply, I really appreciate the advice. I'll give it a go!

Marin

by Marin

I'd also suggest intervals, but shorter ones. Check out the short > long interval thread! A sequence of short 30s sprints will increase your 1h power.

iamalex

by iamalex

Hi Marin. I'll give that thread a read, sounds like a good bit of extra punishment for the session.