Recent 90 day "back to cycling" training block results

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Citizenfox

by Citizenfox

So after a brief 15 year lay off from cycling, during which I was still very fit although more in the weightlifter/Kettlebell way, I decided, 90 days out from my 55th B- Day, that I felt heavy and clunky and I and I was going back to cycling. Had been a pretty serious club rider when I lived in Philly.

I had no bike. So using this site mostly did research on the 17 generations of tech I had missed, read Friel, Coogin and Carmichael and hit the spinning room. Mostly did this when there wasn't a class but often started 30m before class and "ride thru".

90 days was Wednesday. Went from a fairly lean 204, had abs at 204, to 182. Hoping to wind up in thre mid to low 170s, at 6"1', which is where I was back in the day. My average watts, although still lame, for a 90 minute session are up about 60 watts. N=1 there as they say.

Picked up my bike a few weeks ago and in literally learning to ride again but it's coming back fast. I'll post the bike later.

The training was mostly very hard intervals of 30 sec, 1 min or 2 minutes. Long warmups.

So - there it is, old man coming back to racing. Not this summer, but next for sure.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ok. You're my inspiration. Kind of in the same spot as your pre 90 day starting point. Same height, same weight... No real abs however :(. Oh well. Anyway, under 180 would be a stretch for me but between 185-190 is where I'd like to end up. Your post is my new motivation. I think I'll watch Rocky 1 again too. Lol.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Citizenfox

by Citizenfox

I forgot to mention watching Rocky is crucial to success.

whydobearsxplod

by whydobearsxplod

Well done! How many days a week were you doing intervals?

Citizenfox

by Citizenfox

Probably 4, but remember I was not even strong enough, leg or cardio wise, to do any damage when I started. I've definitely noticed in the last few weeks, as my interval watts are getting into the 400s, I can't go hard two days in a row.

Since I'm just getting back on a real bike, my outdoor rides are pretty tame. I was out for an hour and a half this morning, but more working on skills and position then "training". Tomorrow I'm
Going to do hard hill repeats, which will actually be my first "hard" workout outside. I'll take Tuesday off and travel for biz, then do a Flywheel class both mornings I'm away on biz. It's a fluid periodization plan.