Track gearing for novice

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

liam7020

by liam7020

I'm going for a track taster session to Manchester Velodrome on Friday and have a quick question on gearing. The velodrome stipulates that new riders must use a MAX gear of 84ins. My bike currently has a 49x17 (78ins) which is obviously well within the stipulated requirement but, considering that I'm very much a pedaller and not a pusher, I'm wondering should I gear down a tad for Friday's session which will definitely be more about learning technique rather than training/racing. Back in the day I did ride fixed wheel quite a bit but never been on a track before so I'm not sure what to expect. Ta.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

jekyll man

by jekyll man

maybe easier to hire a bike from the velodrome. Its only a tenner 8)

Having seen how some of the taster sessions end up, its perhaps wisest to :wink:
The bikes aren't crap (mostly)

I suspect they stipulate gearing so everyone in the session is going to be in a similar performance window to everyone else.
Enjoy :thumbup:
Official cafe stop tester

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

by 11.4

It's easier to get used to the bankings and to modulate your speed with a lower gear. With a bigger gear new riders tend to speed up into someone's wheel, then slow down abruptly into the rider behind them. Riding can be a lot smoother with properly chosen gears. Also, for beginning events, remember that pros are racing six-days on gears in the same recommended range. You can ride some ferocious speeds in those gears, so this isn't really about limiting speeds.

You'll be just fine with a 78". Several of us ride a 46x16, which is basically the same gear, for warmups and early season training on that and similar velodromes and have no problems. Our warmups typically go up to 33 mph sustained.

Thuekr

by Thuekr

liam7020 wrote:I'm going for a track taster session to Manchester Velodrome on Friday and have a quick question on gearing. The velodrome stipulates that new riders must use a MAX gear of 84ins. My bike currently has a 49x17 (78ins) which is obviously well within the stipulated requirement but, considering that I'm very much a pedaller and not a pusher, I'm wondering should I gear down a tad for Friday's session which will definitely be more about learning technique rather than training/racing. Back in the day I did ride fixed wheel quite a bit but never been on a track before so I'm not sure what to expect. Ta.

You'll be fine

mattr

by mattr

BTW is your bike actually a track bike? Or one of those on trend fixies?

Even if it is a track bike, you still might not be allowed to use it, tyres, crank length, wheel axle type and bottom bracket height could all catch you out.

liam7020

by liam7020

Thanks for all the replies.

mattr wrote:BTW is your bike actually a track bike? Or one of those on trend fixies?

Even if it is a track bike, you still might not be allowed to use it, tyres, crank length, wheel axle type and bottom bracket height could all catch you out.

Planet X Pro track frame, 170mm cranks and Vittoria Pro Pista clinchers. Hopefully should be ok?
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

mattr

by mattr

They used to insist on 165s, ring the track to double check.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

might not allow clinchers either.

mattr

by mattr

the hire bikes have clinchers IIRC.

metal

by metal

Here is some info off this page (in the notes section, but the main info is good too),

http://www.startbikeracing.com/index.ph ... t?start=10

"As for the little Euro track [note: six-day tracks in Europe are commonly between 150 and 200 meters – very short and very steeply banked], I go much lower in gearing. Particularly for madisons, and for multi-day events. In the 6-days we're capped at either a 49x15 [85.7”] or a 52x16 [85.2”] (they're nearly equivalent). In Geneva we didn't have a gear restriction, so I tried going up to a 50x15 [87.4”]. By the third day my legs were so blown that I had to go back down to the 49x15 [85.7”]. It sounds like a tiny gear, but you can really get that thing moving. We'd regularly get our mid-race sprints into the 64-65 km/h range, and the finish would sometimes crest 66-67 km/h. [Note: in a 85.7” gear, 66kph requires 161rpm’s.]"

So you don't need a big gear to keep up in most races, just leg speed. And a smaller gear will help you develop that legspeed. Then once you get use to that feeling, raise the gear 2 inches (usually a chainring size), every few weeks or so (over a track season). You should aim for somewhere in the 88-92" GI range.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jekyll man

by jekyll man

@ metal-
the main problem is what manchester velodrome will or won't allow on their track.
UK tracks can be fussy over certain things (not all accrediation is transferable across tracks :roll: )

Put somebody on a bike that is differently geared into a novice session, and it can create a lot of problems...