Kurt Kinetic + Inride

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

KvnP

by KvnP

Hi,

As I have been trying to train on the road using RPE, I have came to the conclusion that after all these years I would like to try out training with power.
I currently have a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine & as I was researching PM's, I have ran into DC's thread about the inRide PM system specifically for my trainer.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/12/kine ... eview.html

From the looks of it, the readings look pretty good compared to P2M & Powertap.

As this system has piqued my interest on training with power with affordability, I wanted to check on WW's:

1. Has anyone ever used this system before ?
130 bucks for the HR strap + magnet can be a load yet it's getting pretty accurate readings for the $

2. There is an option to buy only the pod/speed sensor excluding the heart rate strap; is training with power PLUS HR a big plus or would I be able to get away training only with power ?

3. I am having a hard time deciding between the inRide & training with virtual power via Trainer Road (I would have to buy Ant+ sensors) & as these are not actual power meters which will be better on the accuracy side, I am trying to determine which would be more accurate + save on $

Thanks !
Parlee Z3c
Independent Fabrication SSR // 953
Independent Fabrication Planet X
Knolly Chilcotin

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ChrisSnyder

by ChrisSnyder

I did not see anything favorable about the Kurt system in any reviews so I just use Trainerroad with my Kurt and a garmin sensor. I really, really like it and use it 3-4 days a week. I cannot recommend Trainerroad enough.
Alchemy Custom
8.3kg - Not so WW

KvnP

by KvnP

Perfect !
I went for the GSC10 + Garmin USB stick..

Now I am in the debate of a HR strap.. is it really necessary ?
How can it be used alongside with power (reading it that is)

Thanks !
Parlee Z3c
Knolly Chilcotin

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

KvnP wrote:Perfect !

Thanks !

I was using this set-up prior to purchasing my power2max meter. It tracked about 35 watts higher than my p2max ever did. I found the GSC10 to work very well for the virtual power, and I actually mounted the GSC10 on my trainer opposed to my bike as that was the only time I ever used the GSC10.

Heart Rate - I like heart rate being there for multiple reasons, but primarily to track heart rate bleed between intervals of identical length and wattage. It's also nice to monitor any changes in heart rate compared to effort. When I first started training with power at a 200 watt FTP, I noticed that intervals of 180-192 watts got my HR into the 160's and 170's... I can do those same intervals at a significantly lower HR today and it's nice to have metrics to back up any gains.

I also notice that HR shoots up when spinning under hot environments and it gives me a number telling me what I already know which is I'm very uncomfortable in heat. I also use it to practice breathing technique as proper breathing technique does drop my HR by 3-4 points for the same effort (watts) opposed to times I do not pay attention to my breathing.

KvnP

by KvnP

CerveloBert wrote:
KvnP wrote:Perfect !

Thanks !

I was using this set-up prior to purchasing my power2max meter. It tracked about 35 watts higher than my p2max ever did. I found the GSC10 to work very well for the virtual power, and I actually mounted the GSC10 on my trainer opposed to my bike as that was the only time I ever used the GSC10.

Heart Rate - I like heart rate being there for multiple reasons, but primarily to track heart rate bleed between intervals of identical length and wattage. It's also nice to monitor any changes in heart rate compared to effort. When I first started training with power at a 200 watt FTP, I noticed that intervals of 180-192 watts got my HR into the 160's and 170's... I can do those same intervals at a significantly lower HR today and it's nice to have metrics to back up any gains.

I also notice that HR shoots up when spinning under hot environments and it gives me a number telling me what I already know which is I'm very uncomfortable in heat. I also use it to practice breathing technique as proper breathing technique does drop my HR by 3-4 points for the same effort (watts) opposed to times I do not pay attention to my breathing.

Ah that helps a lot; I appreciate the info.

I suppose from here, I will get my hands on a HR strap as well to make things more accurate and see where the average "parallel" is for certain numbers.
Parlee Z3c
Knolly Chilcotin