Off saddle cadence

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

itguy

by itguy

What is your off saddle cadence on a climb, say, a 100-200m stretch of around 9% gradient?

As for flat off saddle cadence on a quick acceleration to catch up / drop, what is your usual cadence?

Yesterday I was watching Quintana suffering on Tirreno Adriatico on the final 2km, his off saddle cadence looks pretty similar as to when he on the saddle. Even when he started off, his cadence is pretty quick.

Myself if I off saddle at around 85-90rpm, i find it hard to properly control the bike or pedal off the saddle.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

I will normally pop the big ring and mash allong at whatever feels good. 40-50rpm usually and then sit back into 90odd on the small ring.
Using Tapatalk

efeballi

by efeballi

If it's only a short hill I will keep cadence around 95-100 and power through it.

If it's a long climb and I have to alternate between sitting and standing, I climb seated at 85-90 rpm and downshift when standing up, 75-80 rpm.

If I'm going to attack, I downshift twice or switch to the big ring before launching.

If I'm responding to an attack, I don't generally shift (sometimes downshift once) and increase cadence to ~110 rpm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SHUT UP LEGS
2015 Giant Propel Advanced
2015 Cannondale Supersix Evo
2013 KTM Strada mod. (totaled)
2011 Pinarello Dogma 60.1(loaner)
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

Politecnico di Milano Ingegneria Meccanica

itguy

by itguy

Sometimes there are these really crazy gradient, my cadence would drop to below 60 but i tried to maintain around 50ish...

Is it better to keep my cadence at around 70-80 when I see a really steep gradient coming up?