Time spent on a turbo trainer

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

geraintnorman

by geraintnorman

Does anyone have a view or evidence on whether a turbo trainer is a more effective training method than going out on the road. If you have limited time available is for example an hour on the turbo better than an hour on the road? Cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tcr

by tcr

I would say it can be more effective because:

1) you don't have to stop for anything
2) you don't have to worry about traffic
3) you can easily control your amount of exertion

That said, its not as comfortable as road riding as your bike doesn't move with your body like it would out on the road, it gets REALLY boring and tedious unless you have something to watch, and you need a few fans otherwise you will get very hot and sweaty... you will just have to weigh up what is most important to you.

Personally I would always ride on the road if possible because there is no point in riding at all if you are not enjoying it.

stumpytrunks

by stumpytrunks

geraintnorman wrote:Does anyone have a view or evidence on whether a turbo trainer is a more effective training method than going out on the road. If you have limited time available is for example an hour on the turbo better than an hour on the road? Cheers

No evidence but a view! I've found that although a bit mind numbing an ergo/hometrainer is better for efforst to an extent. I've always been of the view that 1 kilometre on the road is equal to a minute on the trainer as to how I feel the next day. Going on that you'd get two hours worth of trianing in one hour on the trainer. For super casual rides an hour is an hour regardless though. The one positive of a trainer with variable reistance is that you can be super specific with the efforst you want to do without having to factor in things such as wind and undulations/hills. Only down side is that you have to make sure you are going hard enough as it's pretty easy to just start rolling along on the trainer, when that happens you're better off out the road. Also have to make sure you get a real ride in every now and then as I find it's easy to loose the feel of your bike if that makes any sense.

From memory you're from the uk where it's winter at the moment so personally I'd get out on the roadwhen you can just to break up the monotony of the home trainer. Half the battle is how your head is feeling, not your legs and being stuck inside even if it is more effective training just isnt much fun.

kom

by kom

Any body know if turbo trainers damage the frame ?

John979

by John979

If the intensity is the same, the benefit to a certain degree is the same. Certainly it is easier to obtain a higher average power indoors than outdoors, except on a long climb when the average power will be similar to that of the same indoor duration. OTOH, outdoor riding tends to be more stochastic (random) with higher peak power periods than indoors. In addition, outdoor riding has an high inertial component that should not be overlooked, while only a few indoor trainers have a high inertial component. I am a big fan of the specificity principal, and while the inertial thing won't make a difference for general fitness, it is a consideration for those looking to maximize their potential. This concept also explains why pedaling on a fluid or magnetic trainer feels like riding in sand.
John979

rustychain

by rustychain

kom wrote:Any body know if turbo trainers damage the frame ?

I have a ti frame and it is not an issue but I train mostly in the saddle (not standing sprints). I would be worried about some very light carbon frames but thats just my opinion. You should check with the builder and see if it affects your warrenty.
As to workouts on the trainer I find it works better for some specific training. I find that for me its a great help to use a workout DVD for specific workouts. Today I am working on one leg strength intervels. This is much better then doing it on the road and a bit more safe IMO. That said, if I spend several weeks in the winter just on the turbo (As I just did) it takes me a bit to get my road scence back.

simon
Resident Pro

by simon

in the tour mag there was a test a few issues back with gauges and all that stuff(highly scientific)to check if it is okay that e.g. principia doesn't give warranty for trainer use. they found that in every way of riding(sitting, sprinting,...)the stress on the frame(seat- and chainstays) is higher when riding on normal roads than on trainers.
time spent on trainers is more efficient than on road, but it depends on how efficient you ride normally. i stop pedalling very seldom and also while descending i pedal with some 150 to 200 watt at least. for my riding style, one hour on the trainer is more like 1,5 hour on road and not 2 hours on road.

JohnS

by JohnS

Easy efforts while sitting in place are quite boring. Intervals, on the other hand, will only bore until they hurt.

Many of my favorite on-the-bike exercises are easier (read harder) on the trainer than on the road: 30' standing climb (no road climbs of that length around hear); spin ups to 140+ rpm; 4' or 5' intervals; in some ways even 20' intervals. About the only efforts I prefer to do on the road are sprints and "stomps" (0-90 rpm in 53/12).

Whether "just riding along" at a certain speed is easier on the road or on the trainer depends on many factors -- wind, terrain, traffic, the trainer itself. I guess my advise would be that you'll get out of a trainer what you put into it. Attack it with purpose and it'll be the best hour you've ever spent in training. Save "just riding along" for the nice weather when you can get out on the road.

John979

by John979

I performed an analysis of power meter data taken on an 80 mile rolling training ride. With zero readings averaged in, the average power was 197 watts. Without zeros, the average power was 227 watts. Removing "trivial" power readings of less than 100 watts, the average power was 252 watts. Readings of less than 100 watts accounted for almost 1/3 of the total readings.
John979

zakeen
Resident Pro

by zakeen

John979 wrote:I performed an analysis of power meter data taken on an 80 mile rolling training ride. With zero readings averaged in, the average power was 197 watts. Without zeros, the average power was 227 watts. Removing "trivial" power readings of less than 100 watts, the average power was 252 watts. Readings of less than 100 watts accounted for almost 1/3 of the total readings.

Amazing isnt it, all those stop signs, slight down hills, corners, traffic lights, looking at girls, cars pulling out, free wheeling, etc...... list goes on!

good work thou!

brf

by brf

what would be really interesting would be to take two riders on the same ride, one fixed wheel & the other free wheel and see what the power stats were - does the fixed wheel rider do more work and if so how much?

John979

by John979

brf wrote:what would be really interesting would be to take two riders on the same ride, one fixed wheel & the other free wheel and see what the power stats were - does the fixed wheel rider do more work and if so how much?

I have always wondered this. On one hand, the fixed gear forces pedaling, but the lack of gear selection means there might be downhill instances where power will be less. In addition, there might be steep uphill conditions where max power is less with a fixed gear than having a full range, although force might be high.
John979

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com