Navigation and power capable cycle computer

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Hey all,

Long story short, I've moved to a new city and keep getting lost :oops: . I was wondering what people would recommend as an affordable, usable navigation computer, which you can make routes with on the fly.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

ITTY

by ITTY

Well, Garmin 1000 has full navigation built in, but I wouldn't really call it affordable. From their website: "It also offers a new route planner capability that allows you to create routes directly on the Edge 1000 using the map, POI and segments you’ve downloaded from Garmin Connect"

Other than that, I would recommend reviewing routes before leaving on your ride, and/or embracing the adventure of getting lost.
Moloko Plus 6.24 kg

"We haven't located us yet"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Thanks for the suggestion. The 1000 is an attractive option but my budget doesn't stretch that far. I'm thinking about an 810, or maybe even a Sigma ROX 10.0.

Understand that the Sigma's navigation is very basic, I can't make routes without a computer, but it's a good deal cheaper too.

Anyone have any experiences with a Sigma ROX 10.0.

On the note of reviewing routes, the streets aren't marked very well here, I could remember my turn sequences but that might not work so well over a longer ride...

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

mr4fox

by mr4fox

Might be a bit late by now but....
I have a Garmin 1000 and after fixing a few initial glitches it seems to work pretty well. The navigation is useful when on cycling holidays/self planned "training camps". I had an edge 510 for a couple years prior and it was great but a friend wanted to buy it so I took the chance to up grade. Initially bought an 810 and kind of regret exchanging it after a week for the 1000. I like that the 810 a bit smaller, lighter and after the new firmware update(Jan '15) it will do almost everything the 1000 does. I do appreciate the larger higher def screen of the 1000 when navigating though. Plotting routes on the fly is a bit easier with the 1000 too.
But the 810 was a nice size and seemed great. Dcrainmaker did an article on how to get free maps on to compatible Edge devices like the 810.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/down ... 00810.html

I did have a play with this while I had the 810. I got it to work but the Garmin maps that came with the 1000 are nicer and easier to search POI's and addresses which can be handy in foreign countries.

Of course the other alternative is to navigate with your phone for a while until you stop getting lost.... if indeed that is an alternative for you.

Good luck!

SpeedyChix

by SpeedyChix

Check out the O-Sync Navi2Coach. I think I recall reading that you can make routes at home via your laptop (PC only) and transfer the breadcrumb style route to the computer. It has very complete power meter and Ant+ integration. Loads of customizable screen options too. If you go for this unit make sure you get the updated mounting system that is like (but not the same) as the Garmin mount. The computer originally had some two prong thing that wasn't all that secure.
Or shop for a used Garmin 800 and then use open source maps.
adrenaline junkie

mr4fox

by mr4fox

Tour magazine had a write up/comparison of 4 different cycle computers with mapping/navigation capabilities in their April 2014 edition. Doesn't cost much to d'load a single edition via their phone app if its of interest....not sure if the app is available on iphone but it is on android.

borinomi

by borinomi

Use smart phone like iphone or galaxy.
Then use google map. It is the best way to navigate...

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

If budget is your primary concern, look for an older Edge 800. It has almost all the functionality of the 810, but cannot connect to your phone to sync maps from Garmin Connect. Otherwise, an 810 with one of the older firmwares (3.2 is pretty stable) would be the way to go.

mr4fox

by mr4fox

borinomi wrote:Use smart phone like iphone or galaxy.
Then use google map. It is the best way to navigate...

I agree this is easier. especially for on the fly navigation. but not so easy (or cheap!) when in a foreign country paying international data rates. i bought an Edge 1000 after a friend and i got lost in France haha!!

hull80n

by hull80n

Garmin 800 might suit you. It has all the features of the higher models except phone connection. Routing and all the speed power cadence heart sensors easily attached

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Just thought I'd update this thread. I ended up getting a Sigma ROX 10.0 and it's a great unit. I've written a review on the weightweenies blog if you want my in depth thoughts.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com