Looking for advice on how to train and tackle an uphill TT

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Hi guys,

I've got an uphill time trial on the 1st of February. I would like some advice on how to finalise my training, and how I should tackle the course. The climb is not a consistent grade throughout so I was wondering if I should surge through the steeper middle section, or should I stick to a "steady state" effort? The middle section is around 13%, while the rest of the climb is around 7-8% (9% average).

I can consistently do this climb in around 10 minutes, with my best being 9:34. I'm want to go under 9 minutes for this event.

Here's the strava segment for those interested: http://www.strava.com/segments/632509

Also, is there still time to train and fine tune my legs before the event? I feel as though I can do something productive with the last 3 weeks. When should I start focusing on resting?

Currently, this is what I'm doing

Monday: 3x 5 minute blocks of 30sec ON, 30sec OFF, minimum 10 minutes recovery between each block, 2 blocks standing ON 2 seated OFF
Tuesday: 45 minute crit race
Wednesday: 2hr flat ride, difficulty depending on how the body feels.
Thursday: 2 x 20 minute uphill time trial effort
Friday: Recovery
Saturday: Group ride (3 hours with 15, 8 and 4 minute hill efforts)
Sunday: Race day or group ride (2.5 hours with 5 minutes of hill efforts)

My main concern is that the hills I train on are around 5-7%, should I think about training on steeper slopes? Should I think about more specific efforts around my target time (9 minutes) and say less 20 minute efforts?

How could I change this plan so I can get the most out of myself for the time trial? I'd like to do really well in this time trial as it suits my build much better than the flat crits and road races that we have in the Summer.

:beerchug:
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

safcstuie

by safcstuie

Ideally, you want to be going harder on the steeper section to try and keep the speed up.

I'd also be tempted to do some reps on the climb at just under "steady effort" to get a feel for it and your choice of gearing.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

I'll keep that in mind, thanks for the info :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

boots2000

by boots2000

You are certainly doing enough intensity- likely too much.
a 10 minute effort will take you way beyond threshold- it is more like a prologue type effort.
So target less power than your 5 minute best, but more power than your 20 minute best.
It is wise to not go overboard at the start and the 1st minute of the race- It never feels hard at that time, but it causes you to slow throughout the race.
Make sure that you have the gearing to ride at your preferred cadence for the entire race- If your style suits standing for the steeper pitches (and they are not too long in length) that should be your smallest gear.
If you prefer to sit, figure out the gear you need for the power you expect to hold.
Being over-geared is a bad idea.

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

safcstuie wrote:Ideally, you want to be going harder on the steeper section to try and keep the speed up.

I'd also be tempted to do some reps on the climb at just under "steady effort" to get a feel for it and your choice of gearing.

Can I check the source of this and verify with the resident power and physics experts? Should one work harder on the steep sections or try to even power across the whole effort?

efeballi

by efeballi

As the power needed to overcome the aerodynamic resistance increases with the cube of velocity, it is best to hammer the slow sections and ease up on the faster sections, and especially the descents. When compared to a steady power TT, the energy expended for aerodynamic resistance will be lower, and for the same avg. speed, the avg. power needed will be less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SHUT UP LEGS
2015 Giant Propel Advanced
2015 Cannondale Supersix Evo
2013 KTM Strada mod. (totaled)
2011 Pinarello Dogma 60.1(loaner)
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

Politecnico di Milano Ingegneria Meccanica

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Actually, aerodynamic drag is directly proportional to the square of velocity, not cubed... Just an FYI :)

efeballi

by efeballi

Drag is proportional to the square of velocity. While power, which is the product of velocity and drag, is proportional to the cube of velocity.

SHUT UP LEGS
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Oh, sorry, I thought you were reffering to drag.

I was thinking, instead of say aming for a constant power, would it make sense to aim for a constant speed?

efeballi

by efeballi

Yes, if there was an electric motor driving the wheels :D

Keeping a constant and meaningful speed would require huge efforts on uphill sections (think climbing a 10% hill at 30 kph) and would be too easy in the flat.

My approach would be to break down the hills and calculate the biggest effort you can sustain over each of them. If there's a hill 30 minutes into the TT, you should measure how much effort you can sustain over that hill, and so on. In the race, focus on the hills, and try to recover on the descents and flats.

EDIT: I didn't notice you included the segment. It's shorter and steeper than I thought. I would go easy until where the road kicks up after the creek, and would try to sustain a huuuuuuuge effort until the incline falls back down to single digits.
SHUT UP LEGS
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

HillRPete

by HillRPete

It's a bit late now, but I would have recommended to get a few 3x3min (3min pause) workouts in, proper warmup, and then get it all out in 3x3min. When i say all, i mean everything. Would be a good match for the 9-10min race effort.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

So you mean 3mins on and then 3 minutes off? Repeat 3x?

I've still got 11 days, I've got a 2x20 effort tomorrow, would it be a hood idea to replace that session with this one? Or just stick to what I'm doing?

I'm thinking about easing off the intensity on Wednesday, before doing one last 15 minute TT effort on Saturday before my actual TT on Sunday, does that sound adequate? What would you do differently

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Yes, just 3 intervals, the hardest you can do, so you get somewhat consistent repeats.

The 2x20 would be a good candidate for being replaced with this workout that is more specific to your race.

The day before I'd just roll around for 30-60mins and pick it up 5-10 times for like 10 seconds, so you are really fresh the next day.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Thanks for the advice HillRPete, efeballi

Just finished my first 3x3 set, I did these reps on the base of the TT climb. The first two I ended up in a similar spot, about a third of the way up the climb, but I couldn't get as far on my last 3 minute effort. Does that mean I went out too hard on the first two sets? Also, should I use the distance I travelled in those 3 minutes as a marker (eg try to get there in 3:15 on race day)?

Also, for my last week or so of riding I'm thinking about doing this:

Friday: 5x5 minute intervals with 1 min recovery (OR 90min EASY ride?)
Saturday: Easy hills ride, maybe 1 15 minute effort
Sunday: Easy hills ride, maybe a 10 minute effort - check out the TT course
Monday:Rest/Recover
Wednesday: 2hr easy hills ride.
Thursday: 3x 3 minute intervals
Friday: Rest
Saturday: 60 minute ride with 5-10x 10 second sprints
Sunday: TT day!! Wish me luck :)

Any criticisms on my plan leading up? Is the 5x5 minute session tomorrow too ambitious? What would you do differently?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

istigatrice wrote:Just finished my first 3x3 set, I did these reps on the base of the TT climb. The first two I ended up in a similar spot, about a third of the way up the climb, but I couldn't get as far on my last 3 minute effort. Does that mean I went out too hard on the first two sets? Also, should I use the distance I travelled in those 3 minutes as a marker (eg try to get there in 3:15 on race day)?

Slightly too hard probably, yes. Same here btw that I sometimes really break down on the last rep, and can not match the first two.
Personally I would do the race without looking at numbers, especially since it's so short. Just focus on not going out too hard, and then go go go when you're in a rhythm.

istigatrice wrote:Also, for my last week or so of riding I'm thinking about doing this:

Friday: 5x5 minute intervals with 1 min recovery (OR 90min EASY ride?)
Saturday: Easy hills ride, maybe 1 15 minute effort
Sunday: Easy hills ride, maybe a 10 minute effort - check out the TT course
Monday:Rest/Recover
Wednesday: 2hr easy hills ride.
Thursday: 3x 3 minute intervals
Friday: Rest
Saturday: 60 minute ride with 5-10x 10 second sprints
Sunday: TT day!! Wish me luck :)

Any criticisms on my plan leading up? Is the 5x5 minute session tomorrow too ambitious? What would you do differently?

I'd have 3 easy days leading up to the event, not just 2. Maybe skip the crit and move the 3x3 out one day, but everyone's preferences are different.