Cycleops VirtualTraining

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Anybody using this platform?

I've just started playing around with the desktop version, as a possible way to supplement structured TrainerRoad workouts. Setup is Kurt Road Machine with speed/cadence sensor (so virtual power w/out ERG mode).

Software seems to work well and 1st ride went off without a hitch. Downloads are slow but tolerable. First workout was the Ventoux course in Race mode against a Virtual Partner. I found the video quality and syncing passable, but the real attraction was racing for time and trying to pull away from a Virtual Partner.

Price is steep especially when added up to TrainerRoad, but I would consider using it for the winter months at $15/month.

Anybody have feedback on using VirtualTraining? What is your favorite way of using it? The library of video routes doesn't seem to have grown in the short time I have been playing around with it, which would be a major negative. I'm also interested in importing my Garmin GPX routes and racing against my old times. Is this possible in VT?

Thanks.

fa63

by fa63

I have been using it for a couple months now. I mostly use it to ride routes that I create. I have had good luck with the internet routes as well, but I don't really care for the video feature. All in all, I have been happy with it. Combined with the Wahoo Kickr, it makes being on the trainer bearable. I doubt I will keep it once winter is over though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sanrensho

by sanrensho

I have to say, I liked the app enough to subscribe for the next few months. Price is steep though at $15/month for the desktop version.

I was able load up one of my training routes from a GPX file, smooth the route, and race for time against my ride. The virtual riding times are of course unrealistically fast as weather/temperature are not factored in. Maybe I am easily entertained, but I still found it stimulating following my progress on 2D Google Maps (unfortunately my training room Internet connection is too slow for a 3D view).

Software seems stable and hasn't crashed yet. Makes me really wish I had an erg-controlled trainer like a Kickr or Powerbeam Pro...

sanrensho

by sanrensho

I spoke too soon.

The desktop app locked up completely 18 minutes into a route, forcing a system restart. It seems that the problem is related to the time check feature which gives your placing at mid-points in a course. I lost the downloaded video and the app screen locked up. Might be related to my poor basement wireless connection, but I expected to retain video as it is downloaded on my PC.

I also lost video after the halfway point in the Stelvio course, although the app continued to work.

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Just to follow up, I did three things that seem to have resolved the problem:

1. Adjusted font size in Windows Control Panel to 100%.

2. Switched app to low graphic mode (Main menu -> Settings-> Main settings. In main tab, enable "low graphic detail during training...".)

3. Updated the K Lite Codec Pack.

Made it through the long Campolongo route without any freezing or loss of video. Playback does speed up and slow down occasionally to catch up, especially on descents. Altogether a pretty good way to spend 2:20 on the trainer and a hard workout.

Mega29

by Mega29

I have a cycleops trainer but never use VT.

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Inspired by the 2x20 thread, I've lately been doing 2x20s in VT, using Race Mode against a Virtual Partner. Since I don't have an erg trainer, I've been ignoring gearing and using the Race partner times as a motivator, manually tracking my zones and time. Finding this to be really enjoyable and far more motivating to push harder on 2x20s than TrainerRoad/PerfPro with race footage.

Ideally, it would be great if the app could integrate workouts (structured training) within Race mode. I am considering a dual ANT stick setup, so that I can run PerfPro side by side with VT.

nobuseri

by nobuseri

Watching this thread as I am prepping to use either VT or Trainer Road.

I have a powerbeam pro on the way and I am trying to get the best bang for my buck, monthly rate wise.
Cicli Barco XCr Road
Moots VaMoots
Parlee Z1
SuperX Hi-Mod Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com