Elite Realaxiom Hacks Repairs Repository of Knowledge

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Craigagogo

by Craigagogo

While a great trainer when working it suffers component break downs and a design flaw (design flaw is my opinion only).

This topic is dedicated to help those that have the Realaxiom trainer.

1. The resistance unit is comprised of a motor driven movable caliper with imbedded magnets and a metal rotor which the caliper moves up and down to create more or less resitance. I had a problem with my unit creating this terrible grinding noise of caliper against the rotor (this is the design flaw IMO) until I added a plastic spacer indicated in the pictures below. I had to play with the assemble of the plastic housing screw tightness to get the pressure on the caliper just right so that the motor that moves the caliper does not have to function under undo load from this spacer.

2. Next problem was a cooling fan, as seen in the above picture, that I had to replace shortly after purchasing (the trainer was brand new from Nashbar). Simple enough to replace just get the right size and screw it in there. The connector is very small and requires special tools to make the new fan wire reconnection (very expensive so I am told) so I just jury rigged it for now until I get enough time to solder in by splicing the old wire and old connector to new wire. Yes that is duct tape that I used :beerchug:

3. You can see in the above pic the old contact switch that is broken. I couldn't find the same size contact switch locally so replaced it with the smallest I could find (you can see this in the pic below). This larger switch causes the path that the caliper takes to be less than what the original intended. This essentially makes the resistance of the unit start at say - 10% of total resistance capability (I am just guessing at this 10% number). This has caused the programs to be helluva harder! But in fact the resistance is now in my opinion more realistic to actual power outputs (I need to borrow a buddy Powertap to quantify). My feeling is, after a couple of sessions on the trainer, that on the lower slopes (2% to about 4%) the power needed is actually more than what the software tells you on the GUI. From 5% to about 7.5% it seems less but I could be wrong. Anything above 8% slopes the resistance does not change as the unit is maxed out mechanically so this affects your overall power averages for any given program, skewing your power numbers upwards, as the GUI is showing increased power without increased effort.

I think my power plug into the unit is next to malfunction...it is starting to deliver power intermittently but I have a little trick up my sleeve for this next inevitable fix :beerchug:

Can anybody help a brother out here...I heard on the webs that there is a software hack that allows you to take the windows that show speed, power ect that appear in your GUI (while riding My RealVideos or courses like Col du Galibier or Peyresourde ect) to an extended monitor. This sure would be nice to see the whole route while riding without windows cluttering the space - especially on a laptop!

If you have lived with this trainer for more than a year I know you have done hacks or repairs - why not share to make life easier for other Realaxiom users - I really wanted the emoticon banging head against wall to finish my post but its not available 8)
More than 10 years a Weenie!

thierry8076

by thierry8076

Hello Craigagogo, :welcome:

I am present I am Thierry, and I'm from France... and for this I apologize for my English which does not have to be good.

I find the explanations of your work for the repair of your realaxiom trainer by chance on the internet, I am very impressed and also very interested in your topic!

you are probably one of the only people to have done this kind of thing. :thumbup:

knowing that I am same also owned a Wireless model realaxiom trainer... also fails it! and more guaranteed by Elite

the failure comes from the stepper motor which drives the magnetic cam, it is dead... and I'm looking for a solution to replace it, but as it there no information on the characteristics of the engine, not easy to make a choice... especially since there is an impressive multitude of models of motor stepper, and should especially not mistaking.

is what you you would have a solution to solve my problem? What is this engine? :noidea:

Thanks in advance for an answer, even negative.

friendly and sportingly :beerchug:

Thierry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Craigagogo

by Craigagogo

Bonjour Thierry;

Sorry I have no knowledge of the make, model or series of the electric (stepper) motor. Thankfully I have not needed to investigate this information...yet☺

If I could suggest - ensure that your contact switch is not broken.

If the contact switch is broken the motor will eventually power the cam (caliper) to least amount of cam resistance position and continue to do so until the motor shuts off for some reason.

The cam can become extended or fixed (we say stuck) in the least resistance position. To solve this problem of the cam being stuck I used pliers to grip the threaded rod that the motor drives and moved that cam towards a position of more resistance.

If your contact switch is indeed broken and your motor is not functioning you should try this solution first to ascertain if the motor truly functions. After following the steps described in the above paragraphs simply power up the motor to test the motors functionality.

If the motor is still viable then replace the contact switch and you are back on your trainer!

Hope this helps :beerchug:
More than 10 years a Weenie!

thierry8076

by thierry8076

Hello Craigagogo,

Thank you very much for this quick reply, it's very nice.

Unfortunately jen' is this chance, this is not the switch that is lacking, I already check.

I'm pretty sure it's well engine cam... so I'm looking for a replacement, but c is not simple because very little information on that, a part: SM4206 LA74... c is a true mystery!

Thanks again for your help, cheers again for superb your realaxiom repair.

a trained you well!

Kind regards

Thierry

PS: if part chance I find the reference of the engine, I'll give you the, it can still be used.

thierry8076

by thierry8076

Hello Craig,.

Thanks for your message, I took note, and I contacted the person edoardo.menani@elite-it.com.

and if I have the characteristics of the engine, c is with pleasure that I will provide them.

on my side I also contacted Elite: Marco Orsenigo, who he thinks rather a failure of the card electronic... after him it is never the engine. sends me free a new new electronic card (this is nice and very professional on their part).

and after analysis with an electronics technician, is surely the integrated power circuit which is "grilled", it is repairable, not easy, but repairable.. .the component is worth $ 2, so it's worth trying. like that j will have an eCard possibly d advance.

but I still want to know the characteristics of this mysterious motor stepper... Marco Orsenigo don't know, us can be more luck with your contact.

because if one day the engine breaks down, it'll be nice to be able to change it or even... it was $ 30 on average...

I wish you inform of that I have news.

see you soon

circle of friends

Thierry

thierry8076

by thierry8076

Sorry Craig, after verification apparently Edoardo Menani, no longer works at Elite, damage

thierry8076

by thierry8076

Hello Craig,. :welcome:

After search engine would be a stepper motor 2P42113-150 from Telco a manufacturer of engine American in Houston.

I failed to find a dealer in Europe, so I sent an email to Telco... we'll see! :noidea:

but is what you of side tone you can look if it is easier to find in America? that'll be nice on your part. :mrgreen:

Kind regards
:beerchug:
Thierry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Titanium

by Titanium

Hello Craigagogo,
I have the same noise issue with my realaxiom.
Can you please provide more picture of your spacer, because I did not succeed to fix it after several trial.
It works up to level 6, afterwards the noise comes back...
Thank you and have a great day