Calf muscle imbalance

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

logy

by logy

Hi All. Any ideas what could cause a growing imbalance in calf muscle size? I am right-handed and the inner muscle on the left leg is a lot smaller than the right and seems to be getting more different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

logy wrote:Hi All. Any ideas what could cause a growing imbalance in calf muscle size? I am right-handed and the inner muscle on the left leg is a lot smaller than the right and seems to be getting more different?

dang maybe u should see a doctor. if size is the difference, that seems to be a product of Iliac artery blockage .... im not a doctor at all, but i recall a few riders noticing different size of leg muscles

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Antoine

by Antoine

Leg length discrepancy ?

logy

by logy

I will look into fit and maybe see the doc

by 11.4

Lots of reasons -- different arch on one foot, different pedal stroke, past injuries, etc. If you aren't having any symptoms, it's not clear what a physician will tell you. If you ride just one bike, you might be sure you don't have a bent pedal or crank arm. Be sure you aren't riding asymetrically on your saddle. If you can get on a power meter that gives true two-sided measurements, you can see if you are favoring one leg (I'm guessing that's the most likely reason, followed by pedal stroke differences caused by unintended adaptation to past injuries, etc.). My two legs are different and it's quite common if you talk to physical therapists and sports massage therapists.

Cuki

by Cuki

Agreed with 11.4.
As a old marathon runner and now as a Therapist, I can tell you I've seen many different shapes and sizes of calf muscles in my time. This includes on the same person. Usually I ask the client if he or she runs on a cambered road or drives an automatic car.
Nothing to worry about, as long as you don't have a strong "chocolate side", meaning a really favoured side.

mr4fox

by mr4fox

Asymmetrical cleat positioning??

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mentok

by mentok

As others have said above, i would look at leg length discrepancy, pedal stroke asymmetry and arch support. Could also be due to nerve issues - do you get sciatica at all?

Have you seen your L/R power split? I have a fairly consistent 45/55 L/R split and my legs are slightly different (you can't tell without a tape measure) which i've put down to S1 nerve compression resulting from a bulging disc. trying to consciously do 50/50 efforts leaves my left leg overly tired and sore.