Tips for a positive winter trainer relationship

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Roundabout

by Roundabout

Hey all,

I recently moved from a place that doesn't have winter (CA Bay Area) to a location that most certainly does (Montana). Getting the trainer set up these last few weeks has prompted thought as to what I can do to make the time more enjoyable/bearable/not completely miserable.

Beyond the typical tv/music, dark atmosphere, structured workouts, and super powerful fan techniques, has anyone found some unique approaches to the winter trainer that's helped make it sustainable and even enjoyable?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Lol good luck.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LionelB

by LionelB

cross country skiing ;-)

Tomstr

by Tomstr

Ride it like you stole it

glepore

by glepore

Computrainer or Kickr, laptop, projector, Veloreality vids, large fan. Rinse, repeat.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

PMC

by PMC

Computrainer running perfpro doing targeted egr workouts and a heavy dose of netflix and Hulu works for me.
Bugging out for a week or two in AZ also helps

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Kurt Kinetic w/speed and cadence sensor, ANT+ stick, TrainerRoad, and racing footage of your choice (or Sufferfest if that floats your boat).

Just installed Cycleops Virtual Trainer yesterday. Looks promising but my old laptop is too slow to run the video smoothly. Downloads are very slow.

Switch it up occasionally with rollers.

luckypuncheur

by luckypuncheur

Elite Turbo Muin, powermeter, PerfPro ERG workouts, Sufferfest videos. [emoji4]
Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

+ Trainer road and Sufferfest videos.
Using Tapatalk

CulBaire

by CulBaire

Nefarious86 it seems we frequent the same forums, I recall seeing that pic on BNA/ACF :thumbup:

While we are fairly lucky in Australia we don't generally need to be on the trainer all winter; a lot of us do focused intervals on the trainer all year round, here is a few things I have found helps.

Good Bibs / knicks a must if you are spending more than an hour on the trainer; I use an old pair of Pearl Izumi's that have gotten a bit thin but the chamois is still good in them.

Cooling another must, I use my trainer outdoors under the veranda but even on 0C deg days I will find I will be pouring with sweat.

Music I find motivates me.

Trainer Road + Sufferfest I don't currently use it, but have in the past well worth it!

Just get it done, I hate the trainer but try too look at the big picture; this session in conjunction with everything else will improve my.... :wink:

Mix it up if you have trainers, and rollers I find it helps to mix it up!

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Cul I do lurk on BNA ;)

Introduced a mate to the joys of the Kickr today, the pool of sweat even with the aircon on freeze mode was epic :D I used one of the fluid trainers they do fittings on and reminded myself just why I love my Kickr.
Using Tapatalk

Sarvesh95

by Sarvesh95

I have been using a Cyclops Fluid 2 trainer since 2012. Its pretty silent and also very robust. In the Jamuary of 2014, I did my base training (4+ hrs) on the trainer because it's pretty dangerous to train in the evenings in India.

P. S. I have power files to prove so :)

motdoc

by motdoc

Sufferfest +1. Also really good advice on flamme rouge website for specific sessions.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Another important thing is a good plan with goals and performance markers. Motivation is half the battle.
Using Tapatalk

motorthings

by motorthings

KICKR on ERG mode with Trainerroad and Sufferfest videos.
I just picked up the KICKR to replace my Lemond Revolution, and the ERG mode is great for workouts, since I don't have to focus on my power (just have to make it).
Once I get this excess synovial fluid off my knee from downhill skiing for the first time, i'll be ready to crank it up on some workouts.

Next year I will add ZWIFT to that list.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com