which indoor bike trainer

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

slick1

by slick1

Hi all. Im in the market to buy an indoor spin bike/trainer and have 2 in mind.

I like the proform Tour de France bike http://bicycling.about.com/od/bikerevie ... -Cycle.htm but from what i've read, they aren't that great. I like the idea that they can give you a workout based on a specific course around the area i live in or i can connect to the internet and go cycling around the alps. another good thing about this bike but no big deal is the tilt on the bike when you ascend or descend.

The other bike I was considering is the freemotion S11.
http://www.indoorcycleinstructor.com/fr ... le-review/

the freemotion doesn't have the same features as the proform bike in the sense that the google maps rides and the ability to use iFit integration. From what i read they both have power meters.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

kulivontot

by kulivontot

There's a bunch of software out now that'll let you do similar mapping stuff using a $100 trainer. Do you have a power meter already? Or are you specifically after a spin bike separate from your actual road bike? My personal preference is to avoid the spin bikes because the geometry/speed/power won't correlate to your on road performance exactly.

PerfPro and trainerroad come to mind.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

slick1

by slick1

Thanks for your reply. I currently have Garmin vector pedals on my road bike. The reason I was after a spin bike is because the mapped maps of different rides etc. the other thing I specifically like about the Tour de France pro form bike is that I can load a route I ride around my place and I can improve on hat ride on the spin bike.. Am I getting it all wrong?...

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Have a look at the Wahoo Kickr - the associated programs you can run with it are improving at a rapid rate.

Otherwise I have a LeMond Revolution and use SufferFest videos if that's the sort of session I'm going for.

Either of these options are also easier on your storage space and wallet.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I've been really happy with my kickr
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

slick1

by slick1

Thanks guys. I'll check out the kickr.

A mate has the Lemond and says its a bit noisy.

The elite muin turbo also another option.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

If you live in condensed living then yeah, it's loud.

But I'm in a unit and with it in the garage it's nothing drastic. TV on and I can't notice when my girlfriend is on it.

slick1

by slick1

After reading the review on kicker I think I'm going to buy one

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/03/fitn ... eview.html

You can load specific courses onto it and has a power meter. A lot quieter than the lemond too.

boysa

by boysa

I have a Kickr, and truly believe it is the end-all/be-all for indoor trainers. I despise working out inside, but when the roads are icy and snow covered, the Kickr makes it bearable by allowing me to target my goals with exceptional specificity. For interval work, it's tremendous.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

A rather accomplished local TTer has both - rates them both highly. For pure road feel the LeMond trumps the Kickr (same finding as Ray). However for a quieter trainer that you can 'set and forget' then the Kickr has it.

All about choosing what the priority is, how dedicated you are at following a prescribed ergo session and what the chances are of any close-by neighbours leaving a dead pigs head on your doorstep after 3 months of LeMond noise...

luckypuncheur

by luckypuncheur

The Turbo Muin is also a good alternative despite being a lot simpler and especially lacking resistance control. I use it alongside a P2M and PerfPro and like the road and resistance feel. Plus, it's absolutely appartment compatible. Nevertheless, if price and noise are not your main priorities, I'd possibly get a KICKR as well. Features and built quality are definitely superior.
Last edited by luckypuncheur on Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.

Barters

by Barters

My choice was Elite Turbo Muin vs Wahoo Kickr. I believe that the Kickr is the superior trainer however for the same money I was more or less able to buy both the Muin & a Stages power meter. With that set up & a $10 mostly subscription to trainer road I am very happy (or as can be training indoors!).

ShutUpLegs4

by ShutUpLegs4

I have the Lemond Rev and as far as road feel, you can't beat it! Yes it's load when, but some wireless headphones have fixed that problem. My friends studio has a bunch of Kickr's and they are certainly nice with the ERG mode, however I find it takes away a little from being able to learn how to pace yourself

asv

by asv

Wahoo Kickr is the best option if you can afford it.

USPS

by USPS

I'm looking for a top quality indoor spinner for winter season indoor training.

I always see the TOUR DE FRANCE bike advertised on tv.... Is it any good? Seems like it could be more of a gimmick but I don't really know of any other brand name spinners.

The Keiser M3 looks like the best of the best but I'm not sure its worth the price tag. I want something with a built in computer and possibly pre-programmed terrain. A power sensor would be a plus as well.

Any suggestions?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com