Cheapskate considering a coach

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mr4fox

by mr4fox

Those seem like some impressive gains for someone who is already fairly well trained and competitive. My most recent 20min best was only up 1.3% and I was pretty happy with that....until reading your 9.3% increase!!
Nice work!
Gotta find me a coach...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ITTY

by ITTY

Once again, I think it might have a lot to do with my first power test being on a trainer. I've heard other people say that they don't produce quite as much power on the trainer as on the road.
Moloko Plus 6.24 kg

"We haven't located us yet"

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

ITTY wrote:Once again, I think it might have a lot to do with my first power test being on a trainer. I've heard other people say that they don't produce quite as much power on the trainer as on the road.

I think that's a totally relative statement, as those who are more 'trained' start swaying away from being able to produce more on the road and more to producing more on the trainer.

I'm in the latter, so my biggest concern is not being able to crank out the wattage in a TT that I know I can do on the ergo. I also used to have the issue of having a major gap between my 20 minute road bike power versus that of the TT bike. That gap is now non-existent (if anything it almost feels a little easier on my TT rig!) - which again is very relative. A friend who raced of Rapha-Condor was banned from riding his TT rig by the team as his power was so much higher on that compared to his road bike.

Another good measure of improvement that I look at is 20 minute to 40 minute ratio. How much closer to 1.0 does that get. It's all anecdotal and based simply off my experiences in racing, but the stronger I've become the closer to 1.0 that number is getting. As it's all well and good to be able to smoke a great 20 minute test on the ergo, but extended power at threshold (or even better during a race, when there is fatigue) is a really good indicator of strength (and correlates to me getting dropped less).

This isn't a metric my coach uses, but the results are from his coaching.