Need help with endurance during cross races

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

savechief

by savechief

I would like to get ideas for what to do in order to increase my endurance during cross races this season. I have extremely limited training time and no aspirations of placing well, I'm just looking to improve throughout the season and have fun.

Master's 35+ B (Cat 3/4/5)
40 minute race
Typically 5-6 laps

Race 1
5 laps in 39:55
4:07 behind winner
1st lap = 7:33
2nd lap = 7:52
3rd lap = 7:51
4th lap = 8:19
5th lap = 8:21
Average lap = 7:59

Race 2
6 laps in 45:33
4:21 behind winner
Best lap = 7:22
Average lap = 7:35

In Race 2, I got off to a slow start being staged at the very back of the ~30 person field. My first three laps were very consistent per Strava, then I fell off that pace on laps 5 and 6. I'm not necessarily looking to make my fastest lap faster, I'm looking to close the gap between my slowest laps and my fastest laps.

For reference, I only have 1,455 miles ridden so far in 2014. I'm averaging a little over a ride a week. I do have a Powertap on my road bike. The week prior to Race 2, I was able to do a 2x20' trainer interval session (~85% FTP) on Tuesday night, and a 5x5' hill interval session (~115% FTP) Friday morning. During the week on Tuesdays and Thursdays, I also have the ability to do Tabata intervals on a stationary bike at work. With only two days during the week available (1 hour max for each session) for any type of structured interval training, what would you suggest that I do? Thanks.
Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boots2000

by boots2000

Endurance is likely on par with your overall fitness.
Looks like pacing is an issue.
In 1st race you simply started too hard.
I would suggest riding as much as you can fit in. With limited time to train you will likely not overdo it.

savechief

by savechief

"As much as I can fit in" is 2 hours during the week, broken out into two, one-hour sessions. I am hoping to get suggestions as to what to do with those 2 hours rather than just an unstructured ride just for the sake of saddle time.
Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

olebole

by olebole

A proper warm up is super important in cyclocross. Bring your trainer to the race if you can.
With that amount of training I would try to make it as hard as possible. Maybe try to push closer to 100% FTP on the 2x20s and 120% on the VO2max stuff.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

savechief wrote:"As much as I can fit in" is 2 hours during the week, broken out into two, one-hour sessions. I am hoping to get suggestions as to what to do with those 2 hours rather than just an unstructured ride just for the sake of saddle time.

Blunt fact, your adaptations will be minimal with that amount of training time. As suggested, short ultra hard stuff is what I would do given such limited time.

Though I am sure you could do more training. You don't find time to train. You make it. It's amazing how much work you can get done if you really try.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

Marin

by Marin

Short and medium length intervals 2x a week for an hour should definitely yield some improvement.

ITTY

by ITTY

I agree with Tapeworm about making time to train. Earlier this summer I thought it was tough to get 15 hrs/wk in while working 40 hr work weeks. Now I work 50+ hr work weeks and still get in about 10 hrs/wk of training. It really depends on your priorities.
Moloko Plus 6.24 kg

"We haven't located us yet"

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

just dont YOLO the first lap and you'll be fine. The term is 'blowing up' and it happens to amateurs and pros alike. it's just pros can manage their feelz better to avoid it later in the race.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have developed endurance for 4hr mtb races by doing high pace solo road rides lasting at least 5hrs well as high paced as the wind allows. So I would suggest riding for 1.5hrs at apace you can sustain and increase that week on week. It does not have to off roads rides. It is your fatigue rate that is the problem as well as pacing. Over time I have learnt to pace myself in 4 hrs race so my last lap is within 1 minutes of my first laps. Most folk go to hard off the line they get ahead but you soon start passing as they fatigue.